Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: Our apartment is being used as a dormitory (Read 7424 times)
USAtoHK

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Re: Our apartment is being used as a dormitory
May 3rd, 2017 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Super wise words Garmato.

I'm in agreement ... often those ladies cherish their little homes.  And they certainly need some encouragement and support.   They work hard far away from their families.  For many of us.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #1 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:36am
Print Post  
Tumbler wrote on May 3rd, 2017 at 1:20pm:
so, we thinking seriously about our next action and, what the heck was the property agent doing when we renewed that tenancy agreement a few months back Angry Angry 

How can you say so? Did you sign the contract? Should be " yes' answer. In all the cases a landlord check a tenant's ID, get its copy . In most cases they are interested about the tenant's family status, job or if business they ask for a name card or web etc. Then the landlord submits the contract for stamp duty. It means he/she should be aware of the tenant's particular before he/she signs something. In many cases landlords prefer even to meet or to talk by phone to a tenant before the contract is done. How can it be you have not checked anything?

IP Logged

Xxxx

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2017 at 5:35am
Print Post  
I wouldn't be so understanding with this kind of behavior as a landlord.
You're talking about the DH, employer, real estate agent, but they all entered the deal knowingly and are certainly well aware of the risk they take.
The landlord hasn't been made aware of the transaction but is however responsible in case of police bust. I don't think the landlord has to carry any risk here.

IP Logged

Xxxx

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2017 at 7:53am
Print Post  
garmato wrote on May 4th, 2017 at 6:32am:
And it's naive to assume everyone knew the game. The only person who knew that the landlord wasn't aware is the tenant who signed the lease.

Sorry I meant every party knows that what they are doing is illegal and therefore can face the associated consequences. Only the landlord wasn't aware (I assume the good faith of the poster).

Ideally this thread should be deleted. I know the local media watches forums for leads. And this one is sure to get them itching to investigate.

I think it's naive to believe that the authorities don't know what is going on. Everything is in clear view, they just pick a few per year randomly or on denunciation, because they have to, to keep a bit of paranoia and close the eyes on everything else.

The landlord can give notice to the tenant to vacate the property and that will be the end of the matter without incident.

Totally agree on that though, no reason to involve the authorities at this point.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2017 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
Tumbler, looks like admin has deleted it. I'm deleting my posts as well. All the best.

Ah, I guess not. I can delete my own post but the thread is still here. Might take a day or two. But surely the admin can delete this thread.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2017 at 12:12am
Print Post  
what are you afraid of, guys? 1) I really do not understand HOW the contract could be signed without informing the landlord. OK, let's say the landlord had an authorised person to do it , then the terms should be in that authorization letter. Then EVEN if the contract was signed the ID copies had to be sent to the property owner. OK, he did not care then this was his problem. Even when you rent an office from a big corporation they still file your ID and your data. 2) I still do not get was that the agent who let the apartment to be rented by a third party without informing the landlord?  3) what for to delete the thread? let everyone know . Then they would be more careful . 4) I have some property overseas and being 8-10000 km from it I know what is going on there.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2017 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Agree with fish.  What are you afraid of?  And if you are so afraid, why post in the first place?  And why should garmato especially want to delete posts when they are merely giving opinion?

It's possible this is a sub-let; i.e. someone signed the tenancy agreement and then let someone else take the apartment over without permission.  There's a limit on how you can stop that from happening.

I don't have any place to rent out in DB, but if I had one, I'd be very careful who I rented it to - or as careful as you can be if you are overseas.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2017 at 3:55am
Print Post  
Perhaps they are afraid it will open a Pandora's box. The proliferation of dormitories here in DB is an obvious indication that there are many live out helpers in DB. The Immigration Department might end up doing more spot checks or be forced to if reported.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2017 at 8:20am
Print Post  
JojoS, hit nail on the head. The box had been opened before if anyone remembers TVB Jade and the crackdown that followed in DB in 2013.

Looks like the moderator hasn't been online for almost 8 months... Sad

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2017 at 9:49am
Print Post  
But you don't need a moderator to delete posts.  I have a 'remove' button on mine, as does everybody, and OPs often delete the original post, which leaves the replies looking rather forlorn and silly.  It happens a lot.

In any case, I don't think the moderator should delete posts on a whim unless there is a really good reason; otherwise, where would it end?  I am sure the moderators would agree with this.  In effect, you are asking the moderators to protect people who are acting illegally and that doesn't seem quite right either.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2017 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Ger, yes, true. But I would prefer the topic erased. Nothing good can come of it. Just glad OP deleted their post. Lessen the damage.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint