Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Screeching in the Plaza (Read 6071 times)
HKHIKER

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Screeching in the Plaza
Apr 30th, 2017 at 8:28am
Print Post  
Am I the only person to consider deliberate, extended, high-pitched screeching in the plaza inconsiderate to other users and residents, antisocial and uncivilized? The vast majority of children seem to happily play and enjoy themselves without making this nasty noise so it must be possible ! But if one makes the noise, others seem to copy. Would parents like this noise outside THEIR living room windows? I suggest that parents consider this when setting guidelines for their children.

IP Logged

lfme

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Screeching in the Plaza
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2017 at 12:29am
Print Post  
hope u are in a better mood today!

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2017 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Are you talking about some kids in the plaza during the day time? Kids will be kids, nothing you can do about it but deal with it.

I hate when a child throws a tantrum or a baby cries on most of the journey on a bus but everyone bears with it. Though I agree a parent/helper should make the effort to calm down their kids because you do read/hear about it in the news there will be that one adult who snaps and physically attacks a child either by slapping the child/baby or screaming/shouting into its face as has happened on the MTR here in Hong Kong.

There are residents on this forum who had admitted to harming other people's child when the parents fail to "discipline" their unruly child. One incident I still remember is a small child on the DB ferry who kept running around the seats. One passenger got annoyed that the mother could not get the child to stay in his seat so they stuck out their foot to deliberately trip the child when it passed by. Ill intent and inappropriate course of action to punish a child that way but for them the feeling of satisfaction was worth it.

IP Logged

Heywood_Jablome

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2017 at 2:09am
Print Post  
How dare children make noise and have fun, they should be seen and not heard right?

Alternatively, you could have considered the implications of living in an apartment above the plaza before moving in.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2017 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Duct tape will solve that. Wink

I like my new avatar but it's compelling me to troll.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2017 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Construction noise in the Plaza must beat kids screaming. Heard both on Saturday, loud and clear, and beat a hasty retreat to the more wooded areas where koels screech.

Apparently screaming out loud is the new accepted way to declutter one's mind and psyche, joining in is sociable, like flashmobs taking hold of public spaces people let go.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2017 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Someone should warn parents that screaming causes severe damage to the vocal cords and that children are particularly susceptible.  We never screamed as children.  In fact, I don't think I even knew how.

http://www.throatproblems.co.uk/can-shouting-damage-vocal-cords.html

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2017 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Scream too hard, lose your voice, the human body's natural protective reaction. But I wouldn't worry about it because in life we're all going to strain our voices under different situations (verbal argument, singing, concert, playing sports, cheering someone). I'd guess whooping coughs, smoking and just being exposed to roadside exhaust pollution also do damage.

The point should be to teach children not to be too loud when playing and not to reward any tantrums. Kids yearn to be treated like adults so that should be encouraged. Kids in DB make it well known they are "not a child" even if they are 8 years old.

IP Logged

HKHIKER

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - May 3rd, 2017 at 9:25am
Print Post  
I don't this I said anything like "kids should be seen and not heard" . But I do think that kids should start to learn moderation and compromise. I am not against spontaneous shrieks of joy - only deliberate extended screeching. And I think people sitting having a coffee have as much interest in this as residents. Does anyone think this is a NICE noise?!

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2017 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I agree with both points: 1) too much noise is annoying, 2) parents/helpers should instruct kids to dial down the noise if it's too loud.

But I think on the forum, few people will feel sympathetic because we all learn to live with some inconveniences.

If you're renting, you can close the window, put on TV, radio, music.

If you own the property, you can invest in double glazed windows. You can't stop what goes on outside but at least you have some control indoors.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint