Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cigarette smoke from the neighbour (Read 4737 times)
DBresider

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Cigarette smoke from the neighbour
Feb 4th, 2021 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Has anyone experienced of having a neighbour who smokes in their premises, on their balcony to be precise, and you get all the cigarette smoke in your flat, all day long? Can anyone advise how to stop this besides moving to another place?

There's no legal recourse to deal with this in HK. I have asked for help from the management, the environmental protection department and the tobacco and alcohol control office to no avail.

Any advice is appreciated.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Re: Cigarette smoke from the neighbour
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2021 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Keeping your windows closed is your only legal recourse.

IP Logged

DBresider

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice, Jojo.

Closing my windows was the first thing I did but smoke gets through the tiniest crack and finds its way in and fills out my entire tiny flat. It gets in through the exhaust fans and the duct pipe in the kitchen.

Now, I'm trying to lodge private nuisance and seeking help from the FEHD. I'll see how it goes.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 8:19am
Print Post  
We are in a similar situation with our upstairs neighbor. What remedy we employ is dependent on where the wind is blowing.  Cracking open the window where the freshest and smoke odor-free airflow and running the exhaust fan/s in the bathroom/s and/or kitchen. Cooking something stinky help force the neighbor to close their windows.

IP Logged

DBresider

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Sorry to hear that you've got to suffer the same fate from a selfish neighbour.

I've played the same game and it has costs me too much of my precious time. Not too mention, the stress and anger I feel each time I start smelling the freaking smoke. It also irritates my airways. It is scientifically proven that secondhand smoke causes CVD, lung cancer and stroke in adults. It has more toxins than the smoke breathe in by the smoker.

Now, they've stepped up their attacks by releasing other offensive noxious odours at ungodly hours to cover up the cigarette smell because I complained and they claimed she has stopped smoking on the balcony or within their flat.

What amazed me is that the security guards claimed not to smell anything but I suspect they chose not to smell anything because there's nothing they can do about it so why bothered kind of attitude.

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice.

IP Logged

FF

Welcome to Discovery Bay
Flea Market!

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2021 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Sorry to hear that this is happening to you.

Same thing with us for over a year now and nothing changes. Like what Jojo said, we could only close the windows! We also had exactly the same reaction from the Management office - they did not smell anything. When we looked down and saw smoke coming out from the neighbour’s balcony downstairs, called the Management, they said they looked up and did not see anything! Unbelievable.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 4:23am
Print Post  
DBresider wrote on Feb 11th, 2021 at 12:21pm:
Sorry to hear that you've got to suffer the same fate from a selfish neighbour.

I've played the same game and it has costs me too much of my precious time. Not too mention, the stress and anger I feel each time I start smelling the freaking smoke. It also irritates my airways. It is scientifically proven that secondhand smoke causes CVD, lung cancer and stroke in adults. It has more toxins than the smoke breathe in by the smoker.

Now, they've stepped up their attacks by releasing other offensive noxious odours at ungodly hours to cover up the cigarette smell because I complained and they claimed she has stopped smoking on the balcony or within their flat.

What amazed me is that the security guards claimed not to smell anything but I suspect they chose not to smell anything because there's nothing they can do about it so why bothered kind of attitude.

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice.

Sorry you’re experiencing such bad neighbours. We had upstairs neighbours making sounds like throwing sticks or marbles on the bedroom floor above us around 2 am for awhile but luckily stopped now.

Pray for winds to change. With coming hot and humid weather, hopefully neighbours will keep their doors and windows shut while humidity tends to dampen stuff flying around. Running high powered air purifiers is an added expense but could mitigate it.

Ask landlord to add sealants to foolproof those cracks and openings and help to solve problem as your moving out will be costly for both?

Ask her to switch to e cigarettes with filters - the family - if dealing with elderly stubborn member might realise their own health is most at stake?

Pray for the smoker destroying themselves and their family disintegrate. Ash to ash.

Good Luck!

IP Logged

DBresider

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Thank you for your advice.

The couple are beyond stubborn. They are malicious. They are not happy just destroying themselves so they forcibly drag others, who are unlucky enough to be near them, with them. Let's hope they will suffer prolong painful sufferings before their eventual demise. Bad karma.

Angry

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #8 - Mar 3rd, 2021 at 3:10am
Print Post  
DBresider wrote on Mar 1st, 2021 at 9:27am:
Thank you for your advice.

The couple are beyond stubborn. They are malicious. They are not happy just destroying themselves so they forcibly drag others, who are unlucky enough to be near them, with them. Let's hope they will suffer prolong painful sufferings before their eventual demise. Bad karma.

Angry

Is it better now with this weather?

IP Logged

DBresider

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2021 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Well, it must have been a little harder for them to blow the freaking fumes, from cigarette and other noxious sources, into my flat's direction for sure. Hence, their energy bill has, I'd imagined, increased and starting late last night, they suddenly eased off their assaults.

Either that or because I've asked my real estate agent to remind their landlord that should I take legal action, they'll be liable too. I also encouraged the CM officer of my building to do the same. I'm not sure if he has done it or not because every time I mentioned that he kept on saying he needs to investigate more first.

A timely break for my lungs from inhaling so much toxic fumes that even my brain became foggy. My mental health wasn't great either.

Whether this will continue, we'll see.

Thanks for asking.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint