Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Marina (Read 41228 times)
Poka

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Marina
Sep 2nd, 2018 at 6:05am
Print Post  
In case people didn’t see. What has been a rumor for a long time now seems to be reality

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/2162366/hong-kong-houseboat-...

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Re: Marina
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I was about to post this too.

It says Marina Club is going to be shut down for 3 months and 200 families are being evicted. All membership and debentures will expire on Dec. 31, 2018.

Marina Club opened in 1989 (29 years operation) and has 220 piers and 42 dry docks. The club issued a notice requiring everyone to remove their boat and possessions from the docks. Anything remaining after the date will be disposed of by the club.

One Marina resident said he paid $4.5 million for his boat (9-year mortgage which he had just paid off recently) which will now become worthless and had paid $400,000 for the debenture in 1997.

Another resident paid $4 million for his boat and $3 million for the debenture (which is only $100,000 at face value, i.e. loss of 2.9 million when redeemed)

HKRI has not responded to questions by SCMP.

HK Boating Industry Association has condemned the move.

DB District Council member Amy Yung suspects Marina Club's closure may have something to do with HKRI's push to develop the area into a housing and recreational complex (680,000 sq ft) which was rejected by the government after complaints from residents.

In another article Aug. 28, 2018 (5 days ago), SCMP reported that HKR's managing director Victor Cha is requesting the government to approve 1.4 million sq ft of housing developing in DB.

https://www.scmp.com/property/hong-kong-china/article/2161750/developer-hkr-urge...

There's already been plenty of stories in recent years about how unaffordable it is to live in Hong Kong and it's no secret some wealthier individuals are buying up property in DB, combining units, illegally renting them out (an example is $1,500 per night rental), others renting $500 per room per night, while some have snapped up an entire low rise apartment.

Also, many former DB residents have resorted to moving to less populated villages such as Peng Chau, Mui Wo, Pui O, and even outskirts of Yat Tung. Some moved to Tung Chung years ago

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
I doubt HKRI would have made this move unless they were absolutely confident of the success of their  development plans.  They will want to set the ball rolling well in advance to maximise profit in an uncertain climate.

IP Logged

RunningRoach
God Member

Daaaaaamnnn Doggy!

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 1:45am
Print Post  
HKR was never about the community, and always about the profit.  Can't expect this company to care for its community anymore than you can expect democracy to be clean and for the 'people'.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 4:44am
Print Post  
This is such a strange story and typical pattern of HKRI's lack of transparency.

They have a deceptive website http://dbdevelopment.hk/ pretending to keep residents updated on DB developments yet almost 2 years after being mentioned on this forum, the website still does not mention the other developments nor about Marina Club's situation.

The website only mentions
- upgrading of DB Plaza bus terminus
- new footbridge (upper deck to Wing On Department Store)
- golf cart parking space at DB Recreation Club (formerly DB Residents' Club)

There is zero mention of stalled projects which is visible on Google Maps, such as

N1, N1d, N8 projects in DB North Plaza => http://archive.is/qwjeO

2a, 2b, 6f, 10b (2a is already under construction with building foundations laid, 2b no information, 6f (behind Parkvale Village) and 10b (Marina Club) were rejected for the time being. => http://archive.is/xGsv2

No info regarding the proposed building of a sewer treatment plant behind Woodland Court

Around DB quoted an unnamed HKR spokesperson stating "every decade we introduce some new elements to the community"

http://www.arounddb.com/around-db-articles/infocus/look-to-the-future-the-changi...

No mention about the ice skating rink which was confirmed by COC chairman Simon Mawdsley this Jan. 2018. => http://www.arounddb.com/news/ice-rink-confirmed-discovery-bay/

Still no mention about the "super deluxe housing" on top of golf course (six houses up to 8,000 sq ft expected to sell for $150 million each), construction of which looks about complete. => https://www.scmp.com/business/article/1152697/new-high-life-houses-discovery-bay

It's really disappointing how HKR makes no effort to keep residents informed. As for Marina Club, say 200 boats x $4M = $800M assets in trouble.

IP Logged

Poka

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 1:01am
Print Post  
Sorry, we are on our own. HKRI provides ZERO transparency and have never done and HK Government does not care.

IP Logged

CBLane

Looking Looking Looking

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 1:13am
Print Post  
This is an absolute disgrace.
Although its only the poor guys that live at the Marina that are in a mess, this is an indication of what HKR think and probably can get away with.
The rest of the population on DB should look at this and ask what's next.
We should all get behind the Marina guys and support them in what ever protests that they come up with.
Let the people be heard - lets block the plaza, the ferries, whatever is required.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:06am
Print Post  
There are more news articles about this situation. It looks like nothing can be done about it. SCMP reports that HKSAR government has stated that it it illegal to use any vessel in Hong Kong for dwelling purposes. The only exception is if the vessel was issued a dwelling license (Cap 313) effective before June 29, 2001 when Cap 548 was enacted, and only valid until the license's expiration date.

It also stated there are only FOUR licensed dwelling vessels in Hong Kong (all located at Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter). So, the boats can only be used for recreation and not for residence otherwise there is a $5,000 fine and/or possible 6 months jail term.

David Robinson (Fragrant Harbour magazine) described HK laws as absurd pointing to how Netherlands, France, and the United States have no problem with people living on boats. He mentioned a lot of people are being spiteful because living on a boat is like getting away with cheap rent.

Some residents were interviewed by SCMP saying they only want to know if they will be able to dock their vessels after the renovation so they can decide what to do with their vessels.

HKRI told SCMP that all matters will be handled solely by DB Marina Club.

Another article today, SCMP reports a group of 208 affected members are pleading with the club to extend the eviction to mid-2019 to give them more time to find arrangements. Some interviewed fear they are at risk of having to file bankruptcy if they can't relocate their boat.

According to Marine Dept, there are around 5,000 public and private moorings and dry berths but 9,748 licensed pleasure vessels.

One resident says he still has $3 million boat mortgage to pay off ($25K per month) for a $4.4 million boat he purchased in 2016.

Another said he still has 7 years left to pay off his $5 million boat mortgage.

A member of DB Yacht Club says he too is paying off his boat mortgage and they might have to shut down the yacht club.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2018 at 8:13am
Print Post  
The DB Yacht Club member said this situation not only affects the boat owners but also students attending international schools, boat cleaners, and boat financing companies.

An elderly sailing enthusiast says he always moored his boat at the marina for shelter during typhoons but now doesn't know what to do.

Residents say DB Marina Club froze the transfer of memberships and berthing permits in July 2017 preventing owners from selling their boats for over a year.

Residents feel that HKRI did it deliberately to maximize their profits before pulling the rug under them at the last minute.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/2162936/discovery-bay-boat-o...

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/2162592/houseboat-families-h...

http://www.arounddb.com/news/discovery-bay-marina-club-to-close-in-december/

On a side note, HKFP wrote last month that HKRI was openly discriminating against the LGBTQ community by refusing to accept spousal membership for same-sex married couples despite the majority of other private clubs accommodating it.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/08/12/hkfp-investigation-hong-kongs-private-club...

IP Logged

hongkongpauli

Forum for DB residents

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2018 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Germato, mentioned in their post below, regarding bankruptcy,
Another article today, SCMP reports a group of 208 affected members are pleading with the club to extend the eviction to mid-2019 to give them more time to find arrangements. Some interviewed fear they are at risk of having to file bankruptcy if they can't relocate their boat.

The impact of bankruptcy could be hugely detrimental, if you are declared bankrupt it could affect your current job or future employment.

HKRI, have total disregard to the marina residents.

IP Logged

Goldielocks

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Does anyone know what was the outcome of the meeting between the members of the Marina club and HKRI?
I so hope it was at least something positive for the members, the situation they are in is horrible.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2018 at 2:11am
Print Post  
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/2163445/discovery...

The interesting part of this is not the article itself but the comments at the end - to date 78 of them, with hardly one expressing sympathy.

I have said for years that Discovery Bay is regarded by Hongkongers as an enclave for the privileged expatriate.  Any protests, whether for taxis, ferry fares or boat dweller inequalities, will attract nothing but scorn.

Save your strength for negotiating with the authorities.

IP Logged

lace
God Member

I love Tung Chung

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2018 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
Just posting to try to make this thread visible again after it disappeared.

IP Logged

Poka

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 6:49am
Print Post  
I would be interested in what kind of clause the real estate agents usedfor buyers of debentures / boats and whether they would be held liable

Disclaimer: just curiosity - don’t have any boats

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:13am
Print Post  
Same here - and how about the banks that provided the so-called mortgages.  Or were they just personal loans for buying boats without revealing they were going to be lived in?

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:30am
Print Post  
Buying a boat would be the same as buying a car/ van/caravan - often using loan facilities arranged by the dealer. We could sometimes sleep there but not considered residence in the usual sense.

The live in issue is a separate one from the lease expiry.

IP Logged

Poka

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:44am
Print Post  
I think that depends. If real estate agents knew that buyers were going to live on the boat and/or it in the sales material was indicated as such - I think it would be interesting to further understand.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 8:01am
Print Post  
As interesting as chit chat maybe in the course of doing the deal, but not liable for how the buyer or tenant uses the property - e.g. prostitution or illegal gambling, etc.

The agent's job is to broker between both sides of the transaction sale or lease.

Some live in non-residential e.g. industrial or office property - without the broker or owner's knowledge.

IP Logged

Poka

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Should we do a challenge? What is the latest date we can find where HKRI promoted the yacht club as a liveaboard marina?

I found this from 2007.know that a lot of things have change since then, but interesting enough - was recently removed from HkRI’s website

http://www.dbnplaza.hk/icms2/template?series=25&AID=1042

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Okay not discussing real estate agency but Marina Club role in the live in issue.

No one is going after the boaters regarding live aboard correct? The issue here is lease expiry and you would have to look into the legality of the contract - just like any other contract or lease.

I read that this issue has been going around for a couple of years now and how the Marina Club and boaters have communicated I am unclear - would help to know.

PS: A legal challenge or class action suit would settle this in a court of law rather than the court of public opinion.

IP Logged

Poka

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Yep - but there are three parties to a contract, buyer, seller and agent.

PS. Class action is not available in Hong kong

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 9:18am
Print Post  
Just to understand the terms better, maybe you could post the contract with personal info redacted.

IP Logged

Poka

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Sigh - please read my disclaimed in post #13

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Poka wrote on Sep 4th, 2018 at 1:01am:
Sorry, we are on our own. HKRI provides ZERO transparency and have never done and HK Government does not care.

Sorry confused then.

IP Logged

Poka

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #24 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
That it because you seem to think that people who are not boat owners cannot have empathy with the people living in the Marina.

No hard feelings.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - Sep 12th, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
CG wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:30am:

But would it remain a separate issue if it came to a legal challenge?

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #26 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 12:11am
Print Post  
Ger wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 10:40pm:
CG wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 7:30am:

But would it remain a separate issue if it came to a legal challenge?

As we know, courts and lawyers are their own theatre.

I can only state my position based on my limited information hence interested to see the contract. If my lease had an end date looming and my landlords did not confirm in writing their wish to continue business with me, I would take that to be a sign, as read elsewhere besides this forum, the writing has been on the wall but different people chose different tacks and jibes.

An SCMP editorial said the govt. should review its position on living on boats but it appears it can be legal with permits but perhaps they could make it easier?

Developers rushing to sell vacant units before vacancy tax kicks in makes me wonder if this saga might help them. Approach these 200 families with solutions?

The Marina Club could still continue its path even if living on boats in marinas became legal or a non issue tomorrow. I assume they knew their legal rights before this action?

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #27 - Sep 13th, 2018 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Poka wrote on Sep 12th, 2018 at 2:20pm:
That it because you seem to think that people who are not boat owners cannot have empathy with the people living in the Marina.

No hard feelings.

No hard feelings of course!
Just trying to have a clearer understanding and it appears maybe too much politics and emotions and wanting to believe that they would not be left in still waters, understandably.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #28 - Sep 19th, 2018 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/2164772/boat-owners-accuse-discovery...

DB Marina Club is being accused of lying when it turned away boats seeking shelter from Hong Kong's strongest storm Typhoon Mangkhut. The club said the marina was full despite having spaces. Also, it had used a mechanical net to physically prevent boats from entering/leaving the marina days before the storm.

3 boats were destroyed by the storm as a result. 1 was towed to Peng Chau for $10,000. 2 others sought shelter at Hei Ling Chau which is now reported to only be suitable for large vessels with heavy anchors.

Quote:
“[The club] was outright lying to us,” Barickman said. “It's just an egregious abuse of a common sense courtesy law to help sailors in need. We had the biggest typhoon [on record] and they malevolently kept the gate closed.”

Quote:
Louise Crowther, secretary of Discovery Bay Yacht Club, a group formed by enthusiasts, said: “I and many others are disgusted by the attitude and actions of HKRI and DBMC [the marina club] in this regard. The whole of Hong Kong was busy making preparations to minimise damage and losses, yet here are a group of people wilfully causing losses and hardship to sailors.”

----

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/2164364/living-boat-hong-kon...

Quote:
“There is no outright ban on living aboard,” Potts said. “People can and do live on boats within the law. Marinas such as Discovery Bay and Clear Water Bay are specifically designed to facilitate living aboard.

Most of the Discovery Bay houseboats are Class IV vessels. And the government’s view on the legality of houseboats could have a major bearing on their ability to find somewhere else to live.

From 2013 to August this year, the spokeswoman said, there were 60 prosecutions for using a Class IV vessel not exclusively for pleasure purposes.

many Discovery Bay boat owners said they were surprised to learn that it might not be legal to live in their boats.

IP Logged

Rear Commodore
God Member

Back in retirement

Reply #29 - Sep 20th, 2018 at 2:47am
Print Post  
"using a Class IV vessel not exclusively for pleasure purposes" does not necessarily mean that they were prosecutions for living aboard.  I think it more likely they were for using pleasure vessels as ferries, without the required licence, safety equipment.

I would like to research that to be sure though.  Does anyone have a way to look deeper at the quoted figure?

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #30 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Rear Commodore wrote on Sep 20th, 2018 at 2:47am:
"using a Class IV vessel not exclusively for pleasure purposes" does not necessarily mean that they were prosecutions for living aboard.  I think it more likely they were for using pleasure vessels as ferries, without the required licence, safety equipment.

I would like to research that to be sure though.  Does anyone have a way to look deeper at the quoted figure?

SCMP article cites a spokeswoman from the Marine Department. I can only suggest either contacting Marine Department:
https://www.mardep.gov.hk/en/contactus/contact.html

or SCMP journalist who wrote that article:
https://www.scmp.com/author/shirley-zhao
https://www.scmp.com/contact-us

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #31 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
New SCMP article today Sept. 21, 2018)
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/society/article/2165249/more-10000-sign-peti...

Change.org petition (target 15,000 signatures) has received 11,000 signatures. The purpose is to get HKRI to engage with Marina Club members regarding the eviction to delay or reverse the eviction.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-cha-mou-zing-victor-help-stop-the-eviction-dbmc-fami...

Does that mean Marina Club failed to respond to members? As far as I'm aware, members had two reasonable questions:

1. can the club extend the eviction date to give them more time to make arrangements

2. will members be allowed back after the 3 month "extensive repair, renovation, and maintenance works"

There's a website for their cause:
https://www.saveourmarina.com

- Aug 31: Marina Club announced major renovation work-
- HKRI refuses to provide guidance/assistance to DBRC members
- HKRI + Marina Club continue to keep quiet regarding whether boats can return after renovation work.
- HKRI marketed Marina Club as "live-a-board" lifestyle
- significant multi-million dollar financial losses to those who invested in vessels
- HKRI + Marina Club eviction bad for Hong Kong's reputation as a stable business environment and negatively affects investor confidence in viability of long-term investments in Hong Kong.

Affected:
- 200 boats (stuck in Marina Club to be disposed of by HKRI)
- 180 families (file for bankruptcy?)
- children/students (disruption to education)
- pets (abandoned?)
- domestic workers (loss of job?)
- boat workers (cleaning/repair = loss of income)
- DB Pirates Sporting Club
- DB Yacht Club (no more boating activities)
- Lantau Boat Club
- Dragon boaters
- Recreational boat owners (nobody will buy a boat in DB after this fiasco, HKRI has set a very bad precedent and example to scare away investments in vessels)
- investors & community stakeholders

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #32 - Sep 21st, 2018 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Can't HKRI renovate the marina in stages with minimal disruption to moored vessels?

Can't they make arrangements for the vessels? Temporary dock near Nim Shue Wan?

Keeping quiet on whether members can return is very unusual. HKRI, as a developer, knows exactly what they are doing. A simple answer, yes/no. Keeping quiet usually means "no". Then what is being planned?

My hypothesis... March 19, 2016, HKRI submits request to develop "Area 10b" to transform the pier opposite Nim Shue Wan into a residential complex of low and medium highrise apartments. This looks like it requires extension of existing land and reinforcements (similar to DDeck alfresco dining area in DB Plaza).

Maybe closing marina is just an excuse to lay foundations to prepare for Area 10b again. Renovation work is 3 months which coincides with March 2019, similar to 2016.

This is only my hypothesis based on HKRI's silence.

Tall apartments will be built near marina dock poses safety issues which require closing off marina area. Just a thought.

Also read in SCMP, HKRI rep said they plan new things for DB every 10 years. So back in 2016, they were supposed to get approval to develop:

- DB Plaza (raised bus terminus, ice skating rink - under construction)
- Area 6f (Parkvale - denied)
- Area 10b (Marina - denied)
- sewage treatment plant (possibly next to La Vista)
- Area 2a (road up to Golf Club - under construction)
- Area N1d (next to Amalfi - built)
- Area 2b (no info on status)

Area N1 (prepped for development north of Chianti, no info on status), this one possibly waiting 13 years without approval and which Victor Cha appeared in SCMP article requesting government to approve more housing development in DB.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #33 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 2:36am
Print Post  
Besides illegal living on boats, this saga also highlights domestic workers, many FDH, working illegally on houseboats, living in Nim Shue Wan?

Mooring off NSW beach and serviced by the sampans seems like a good idea as many regular boats are now moored there. Not sure how liveaboards can be anchored and managed safely if they were built for proper berthing. It might be a picnic adventure with tides up and down, definitely a challenge, an interim option for some?

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #34 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 2:43am
Print Post  
Garmato,

The purpose of hkri is to help themselves, not the boat people. A lot CAN be done IF they WANT to.

Their silence is deafening.
They do not appear interested in engaging constructively to find good solutions, so far.

I am not sure mounting aggressive PR and confrontational tactics works. Loss of face, making it harder to back down.

Occupy marina. After 100 days, what if the people continue to occupy Marina?

Refusal to shelter boats during typhoon, was that a deliberate strategy to lose their marina license as they hope to develop differently, flats multipurpose commercials, targeting the mainland market?

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 4:30am
Print Post  
Almost certainly right there, Coppergoose.  Anyway, as you say, charity is not HKRI's purpose.  If they know they have the legal upper hand - and if it suits their future development plans - why should they bother.  Difficult to feel sorry for the helpers.   I would only work illegally if I were prepared to face the consequences.

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #36 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Garmato,

"Occupy marina. After 100 days, what if the people continue to occupy Marina?"

I don't think that is a workable option, all HKR have to do is cut the water and power supplies to make live onboard untenable.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #37 - Sep 22nd, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
twinkleberry, that was Coppergoose's comment not mine.

I think most people can agree HKRI should be more transparent and in this case should help boat owners or make arrangements. This is just too cruel.

There's been gossip for a long time that Islands District Councillor representative for DB, Amy Yung, supposedly has a personal vendetta against HKRI and supposedly makes it her life mission to oppose anything HKRI does. Sounds exaggerated but even Francis Chiu who had HKRI's blessing had publicly defamed her by blaming her for preventing DB's development.

We can see that protests tend not to work as evidenced by:

- objection to taxis (compromise: limited to North Plaza; people who wanted taxis, wanted full access in DB to drop them off their doorstep)

- objection to ferry fare increase (never works, "delay" was considered a victory; Resident Octopus card became a solution)

- objection to DBRC golf cart parking (Club called police and put up sign threatening arrest of anyone occupying the site). Lots of media publicity, occupying the site. Didn't work.

The online petition is symbolic but meaningless. It has no legal basis, only a show of support for marina members.

Occupying marina will result in arrests. It is private property.

Media publicity raises awareness but many locals do not sympathize, labeling the boat owners as rich expats breaking the law.

What option is left? Plea with government to intervene and assist them. It's been established that there is nowhere for the boats to be relocated to. 180 families are affected. Some face bankruptcy. Children's education will be disrupted. Bad publicity for Hong Kong.

Someone mentioned Hong Kong does not have "class action lawsuit" and I've read that in the United States, such action only reward the lawyers while majority of the victims get little to nothing.

HKRI should do something to assist marina members. It's the right thing to do and they should have a heart. But they are under no obligations to do so

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #38 - Sep 23rd, 2018 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Not everyone affected is in the same boat. Each family will adapt to find their own solution. A change could mean downgrading living standards in the short term but also an opportunity in the long term to make the best of a bad situation. Moving on seems logical.

Those with children in DB schools will likely wish to minimise disruption by moving into DB, Peng Chau or other nearby spaces.

Separate those who viewed liveaboards as Investment vs Consumption. Recent 'investors' would bear the brunt of their decision to speculate without due diligence. Marketing a lifestyle of living on water in a resort marina is not the same as selling it as a financial product nor is it necessarily permanent houseboating although many did so. People often choose, with a little help from like minded friends and eager salespeople, to see what they are looking for.

Creative coliving in urban and rural spaces to adapt reuse of older buildings into liveable spaces is happening. Could some boaters not gather their wills to find a feasible way of flotilla living sharing the costs of services that berthing provided? Financial challenges to preserve part water based part land based living?

A unique community is being dismantled but maybe not extinguished. Could we see the rise of a fusion seabased nomadic lifestyle (houseboats, village on barges semi moored on the many bays nearby) independent of fancy marinas?

DB Mariners,
I would not hold my breath for HKRI.
I doubt the govt is going to step in over a civil matter unless fraud is proven then the courts come in.

Hoist your sails, set a different tack, captains of your ships! DB is alive and well. Make it so.

IP Logged

doctor8

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #39 - Oct 22nd, 2018 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Boat owners have a reprieve, until 31st of March. So the HK Standard says. All good.

HK authorities are a bunch of wusses, and will not evict owners. Too much "bad breath".

Hold the fort, and HK resorts will amend their plans, will fumble and ultimately the re development will be re thought out.

I will offer resistance to anyone coming near my boat after 31st March. Anyone care to join ?

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #40 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:54am
Print Post  
How do you get past the illegality of living aboard  in any kind of scenario?

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Reply #41 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:08am
Print Post  
CG wrote on Oct 23rd, 2018 at 2:54am:
How do you get past the illegality of living aboard  in any kind of scenario?

By pointing out the fact that the government does not enforce the rule. People in HK were living on boats long before the British arrived here, and the rules seem to be poorly worded and open to challenge.

IP Logged

mistersmarmy

Forum for DB residents

Reply #42 - Dec 4th, 2018 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Anyone know about the house boat that was being towed out and caught fire yesterday?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint