Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Home Schooling (Read 7421 times)
CBLane

Looking Looking Looking

Home Schooling
Feb 5th, 2018 at 7:10am
Print Post  
With the ever increasing costs of international schools in HK and concern about the quality of teaching in those schools, I am considering home schooling for my children.  Does anyone in DB have experience of this?  Are there any private tutors who can help if this?

IP Logged

Actuary

Forum for DB residents

Re: Home Schooling
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
If your only concern is the 'school fees', I suggest that you look into Local Schools with EMI based curriculum. Naturally there would be some travel involved for your children and you should be able to find some good EMI based Primary/ Secondary schools either in KLN or HKGU.
For further reduced fees, you may also check with local schools, who promote classes with NCS friendly curriculum. For such, you may check in TC since its only a bus ride away and there are a few good schools which cater for all ages.

IP Logged

CBLane

Looking Looking Looking

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the suggestion however I believe that the local schools only teach using Cantonese.  Is that correct?

IP Logged

Actuary

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Not quite. For instance; you may refer to the 'Medium of Instruction' tab on the Curriculum section on the below link;

http://www.hkmadavidli.edu.hk/academic/curriculum/

IP Logged

hongkongpauli

Forum for DB residents

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:16am
Print Post  
A friend of mine is a teacher and decided to home school their children,however,the children prefer the structure of school and my friend has found it difficult separating being a parent to a teacher, it doesn`t work for everyone but then it does for others.

IP Logged

Heywood_Jablome

Forum for DB residents

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
CBLane wrote on Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:10pm:
Thanks for the suggestion however I believe that the local schools only teach using Cantonese.  Is that correct?

They are children, they will learn quickly. I did.

Home schooling is cruel, you are depriving your kids not only of a social life but a vital life experience.

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
The best advice for parents who are intending to stay in Hong Kong long-term and bring their kids up here is to put them into the local schools with an English teaching curriculum as others have suggested.

Yes the schools have a Cantonese biased environment but this the best way to immerse your kids into learning Cantonese and also,  hopefully Putonghua . The best future prospects for kids these days in Hong Kong will be for those who are  multilingual.

I know several ( now elderly) parents whose kids are of mixed race  parentage and who have grown up here and wish to remain here as adults. With the exception of those who are academically very gifted and who later went the best universities overseas , those of moderate ability who remained in Hong Kong faced tremendous disadvantages if they they lacked Chinese language skills.

Some get by part-time tutoring of private students but others ending pulling pints of beer in a pub. Those whose parents sent them to local schools have been able to master enough Chinese to pass the government's basic Chinese language grade leading to employment in the disciplinary services or other departments of the civil service. That equals higher pay rates and job security.

If I had young kids here I wouldn't even hesitate over sending them "local"  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint