Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Western beggers at Sunny Bay MTR station (Read 7310 times)

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Western beggers at Sunny Bay MTR station
Dec 20th, 2017 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Well dressed Western couple aged in their 30's seen begging at Sunny Bay MTR station a few days ago.  They were standing at the bottom of the steps to the entrance holding a piece of cardboard saying they were travelers and had run out of money.  Has anyone else seen them or know if they're legit?

IP Logged

mistersmarmy

Forum for DB residents

Re: Western beggers at Sunny Bay MTR station
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
If they are beggars, they can’t be legal. Begging is illegal. Hoverer, if they really needed money for repatriation to their country, they should go to their respective consulate.

IP Logged

mistersmarmy

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
I have seen western people’s busking in and around Central and DB ferry. It’s a myth to think all westerners are well off. I’ve seen western homeless people sleeping under bridges.

IP Logged

Xxxx

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 2:23am
Print Post  
I love the ones "I've been traveling for 9 months, please help me continue my voyage".

IP Logged

Nan

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 2:49am
Print Post  
oh i saw this guy on Wanchai skybridge quite often holding a paper board saying he need money for his 9 months world journey. However he's been there for 5 years at least.....

1 wrote on Dec 20th, 2017 at 1:39pm:
Well dressed Western couple aged in their 30's seen begging at Sunny Bay MTR station a few days ago.  They were standing at the bottom of the steps to the entrance holding a piece of cardboard saying they were travelers and had run out of money.  Has anyone else seen them or know if they're legit?

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Interesting, so there are buskers, stranded tourists, mainland beggars, and gwailo beggars among those asking for hand outs in public.

In Chinese with video

http://nextplus.nextmedia.com/news/latest/20141231/130808

Gwailo in his 50s/60s kneels down near Jordan MTR station begging for money with a walking stick beside him. He begs every day from 10 in the morning and usually older aunties passing by will give him money. They noted he collects around $800 a day and then miraculously walks without need for the walking stick when he goes off to treat himself to fancy meals at Toast Box (meal is almost $60) and McCafe.

‘Travel beggars’ appear in poorest parts of Hong Kong, outraging critics

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/04/14/travel-beggars-appear-poorest-parts-hong-k...

(a blogger summed it up best:) “If you’re going to come here to fulfil your Orientalist fantasies, or to ‘discover’ Asian cultures, at least do it on your own dime,” Kulkarni wrote.

Also noted that police do not enforce the law when it comes to foreigners/tourists, admitting to the journalist that the reason was they considered it "mah fan", a hassle not worth their time.

The Caucasian beggars hitting Hong Kong with a vengeance while police turn a blind eye

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/2117116/caucasian-beggars-hi...

Shameless rise of the 'beg-packers': Astonishing phenomenon of Western backpackers who beg for money to fund their travelling as they journey through some of the world's poorest regions

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4400790/Rise-Western-backpackers-begging...

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 4:39am
Print Post  
So are they same couple who have moved from near the Star Ferry at Tsim Sha Tsui ?

I wonder how the Plaza security guys will handle them if they move to DB?  10% of takings to HKR ?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint