Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Disneyland - Light Pollution (Read 13308 times)
SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Disneyland - Light Pollution
Nov 9th, 2017 at 5:51am
Print Post  

In the past couple of weeks I have observed a serious and annoying source of strong light pollution coming from the new hotel site at Disneyland.

It emanates from a concentration of very bright white floodlights located at the front of the hotel near their promenade. The lights form an intense white blob and seen from Discovery Bay appears almost like a giant spot light directed into your eyes.
Apart from the irritating glare into your eyes , it definitely spoils our view of the bay. The other lights in the area of the hotel are not too bad because their are amber in colour and not too intense.

A friend of mine has suggested that these lights are associated with a swimming pool and are "mandatory". If this is the case, the pool should be closed in darkness or the lights concealed from view from Discovery Bay.

I regard this as unacceptable and share the opinion that HKR and/or DB City management should complain to Disneyland about this.   Angry

Please join me and write to District Councillor Amy Yung about this requesting her to also make representations to Disneyland and to City Management.

Amy's email:  amyyung@civicparty.hk
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2017 at 3:17am by SayNoToPrivateCars »  

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Re: Disneyland - Light Pollution
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
move to Peng Chau then. )))))))))

IP Logged

UpHigh
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 1:30am
Print Post  
fish22 wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:44am:

or the Greens, facing the hill

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Reply #3 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 7:39am
Print Post  
fish22 wrote on Nov 15th, 2017 at 6:44am:

Peg Chau is even worse for light pollution from the bright lights of the Explosives Storage  Depot on Lantau across the bay. ........
A complete waste of electricity and spoilage of the environment. The depot security lights do not  need to be turned on all night. They could be activated by infra-red detectors if intruders are detected.

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Interesting.......... After posting a complaint on the Disneyland web site last week, I have received a reply from their "Guest Relations"  Department saying "Have a Magical Day"....... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 6:58am
Print Post  
If even Peng Chau is worse for you, then just close all the windows, cover them with anti-light curtains, wear earphones and that's it. I lived in Peng Chau for one year and often go there to my friends. Have never noticed any light pollution: everything is in darkness after 10 pm. It's a fishermen' island. No reflection of any disneyland fireworks there or any other lights from anywhere. I live in Db for a decade and now have direct view to fireworks... strange for you, but I like to watch them)))

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2017 at 7:32am
Print Post  
fish22 wrote on Nov 22nd, 2017 at 6:58am:
If even Peng Chau is worse for you, then just close all the windows, cover them with anti-light curtains, wear earphones and that's it. I lived in Peng Chau for one year and often go there to my friends. Have never noticed any light pollution: everything is in darkness after 10 pm. It's a fishermen' island. No reflection of any disneyland fireworks there or any other lights from anywhere. I live in Db for a decade and now have direct view to fireworks... strange for you, but I like to watch them)))

@"I lived in Peng Chau for one year and .....never noticed any light pollution: everything is in darkness after 10 pm. .... Then I suggest you have an eyesight problem. Walk southwards along the waterfront promenade to the line of fishermens' cottages and look across the sea to the blaze of glaring  lights from the Explosives Depot on Lantau ( Illuminated all night) . It spoils the whole sea view.
The Disneyland glare is a blob of intense dazzling  white light seen from certain angles only.  Beach and Parkvale properties with direct sea-views are probably the worst affected. Other DB properties are shielded by the geography. The flood lights causing this will not be so intense from other angles.

And  ....I am no going to pull my curtains when I am sitting on my balcony. Angry Angry Angry

It's a fishermen' island. No reflection of any disneyland fireworks there or any other lights from anywhere. I live in Db for a decade and now have direct view to fireworks... strange for you, but I like to watch them))) [/quote]

IP Logged

MCC

Forum for DB residents

Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 6:40am
Print Post  
What one regards as part of the most spectacular skyline on the planet, is light pollution to another...

IP Logged

Nan

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #8 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 3:08am
Print Post  
well, now even the firework is gone.
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:03am
Print Post  
if someone is irritated by a 10 min firework then why don't they take some anti stress medicine? I  also sit in my balcony sometimes having hotpot with my friends etc, but the show does not bother me))) I like to watch it

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 4:06am
Print Post  
Read the thread. No one was irritated by the fireworks but by bright lights beaming across into a block here.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 5:02am
Print Post  
True. SNTPC is talking about "floodlights". Never mentioned anything about fireworks.

But I think this is a matter better suited for environmental groups and more within the scope of whether it negatively affects marine wild life (such as Pink Dolphins) and maritime navigation. And at a stretch maybe excessive/wasteful energy usage.

I imagine the government would not be interested about complaints from residents about not being able to see the stars at night. If anyone wanted to see stars, they'd most likely go camping. Can't expect too much.

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
There's actually some news on this front. The bright flood lights have not been seen illuminated for almost two months now. This might be due to the hotel's swimming pool being closed during the winter months.
On the other hand I have  been told that my complaint to our District Councillor was aired during a meeting and received some support from other councillors....... and that then  later Disneyland promised to try to mitigate the annoyance. If this is true,  "Mission Accomplished" Smiley

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #13 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
http://www.districtcouncils.gov.hk/island/english/records/dc.php

Kinda disappointing the information available is only up to year 2015.

I looked up the Disneyland fireworks, this came up:

"Hong Kong Disneyland suspends daily fireworks display until 2019"

Disneyland decided to suspend it for the purpose of renovating the Sleeping Beauty Castle

http://www.ejinsight.com/20180102-hong-kong-disneyland-suspends-daily-fireworks-...

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Disneyland - Light Pollution MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 3:47am
Print Post  
I can now confirm that Disneyland have taken action to mitigate this problem;

Our District Councillor received this message from the company in December:

EXTRACT: We attach great importance to the environmental aspects of the Resort’s operation, with lighting being a component. We have looked into the resident’s comments relayed by you and identified the source to be the lighting at the swimming pool area of our new hotel opened in late April this year. The lighting concerned is installed for the safety of our Guests in accordance with the Swimming Pools Regulation. As part of our continuous effort to review our operation, we have recently implemented measures to adjust the lighting installations at the swimming pool area including installation of light diffusers, adjustment of the fitting angle of the lighting and shutting down of the lighting shortly after closure of the swimming pool to guests.  The measures are introduced without compromising the safety of our guests and cast members and we believe that such operational adjustment should have addressed the comments relayed by you. 

Thanks again for contacting us.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint