Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cali-Mex Review (Read 8499 times)
HK1980
God Member

Cali-Mex Review
Jun 19th, 2017 at 4:43am
Print Post  
We had mix bean enchiladas, Beef burrito, kids chicken and cheese quesadilla.
All got big thumbs up, but suggest to add Gwok or sour cream to burrito to make it a bit less dry.

Atmosphere was excellent and really enjoyed the beer pumps on the individual booths.

Sports screens a nice addition to the North Plaza offerings (only otherwise at the Bounty Bar, which is a nice bar actually).
But it's not exactly a sports bar per se, as the volume is turned down and it's seemingly much more restaurant than bar in vibe and layout.

Price was 510 for three with four beers inclusive. Pretty good for DB!
Only negative is that basics like sour cream are a cost extra, which is kinda mean. Also, only one chili sauce option is not good enough.

Overall I give it a 8/10.
Certainly on my list of DB establishments worth trying.
Very good.

IP Logged

Generic

Re: Cali-Mex Review
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2017 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Nice location. Awesome atmosphere/decoration. Average service. Music too loud. Mediocre food. Overpriced.

IP Logged

the incredible bulk

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:30am
Print Post  
The food here is good by Hong Kong Mexican-style standards, prices are reasonable, but the service is way too slow when they get remotely busy.

I'll still come back as the place is new and my kids enjoy it, but they need to bring the service up to scratch soon or I think they will struggle.

IP Logged

chair

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Service is terrible, I have emailed them to share my thoughts; email not even acknowledged.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Second visit and less impressed.

-Fish and Chips were quite good, but I base this mostly on the excellent batter and Mexican seasoning. But cheap pangassius filet that was clearly previously frozen.

-Burrito is still very dry. Needs more cheese, sour cream and gwok (which I paid extra for, and still was barely enough). The 'angus beef' was overcooked. 

-Set dessert was a tortilla ice cream sandwich. Because it was premade as one, then frozen...it seemed the tortilla had freezer burn and was chewy.

-Sent margarita back because it tasted like they forgot the margarita mix. It was tequila ice, in effect.
Rather than remake it, they added the missing ingredient to the drink and stuck it back in the blender, meaning it was much less frozen than it should have been. Not good.

-Servers were friendly and atmosphere was great.

-Finally, I had ordered the Gwok on the side...but they put it in my burrito anyway.

5/10 overall

I hope they are still shaking out the issues.

IP Logged

oso-panda

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Always find Cali-Mex is overpriced!

IP Logged

toddly6666

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #6 - Aug 1st, 2017 at 6:53am
Print Post  
DB Cali-Mex review:
A total joke of a place. Guacamole is an awful mush. Beef tacos are dry and tasteless. The quesadillas are a soggy disgusting mush. And as expected the service sucks. And no kids menu? Unless that changed.

A complete joke and a stomach ache as well after the two chances I gave this place.

5/10

Stick with Pizza Express DB - the one chain that has their shit together.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint