Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Super Super gone (Read 11099 times)

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Super Super gone
Feb 23rd, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Those greedy landlords have forced another cheap eats place to move out with Super Super closing it's doors yesterday after being unable to negotiate the rent down from a possible 38% increase. I'd like to see an MX or Cafe Coral take its place. Or maybe a burger place also selling fish and chips and vape supplies.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Super Super gone
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Awful!  Where am I going to have my breakfast?  If SuperSuper won't pay the rent, I don't hold out much hope of Café Coral or MX.  Basically there's only McDonald's now and who knows how long they will last.  The one in IFC has gone.

IP Logged

mcdivot

Welcome to Discovery Bay
Flea Market!

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 5:59am
Print Post  
And yesterday...against my better judgement ...I stepped in to the new DCH Store where it sells weird versions of take away "food".The serving lady there was scoffing a kebabby/wrappy sort of thing which actually looked ok.so I ordered  one with "Inner Mongolian Lamb".....It was absolutely atrocious.Completely tasteless and everyone of the few lumps of lamb was unchewable..If I wasnt already home when I tried to eat it I would have thrown it at them.Sorry,this is totally ridiculous.Why can't we get some haldf decent eateries here ?  Marks and Spensers Food would be simply amazing,or even Pret a Manger . Finally i have to take proper cooking lessons now and do it myself...Wonder what will be filling up the expanded Plaza space :/
Sad

IP Logged

dragonprs

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Angry

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
It's a real shame. I wasn't a huge fan of Super Super, but I was a frequent customer there, as the wife loved their congee and noodles.

So Discovery Bay retains its record for the smallest number of Chinese restaurants in Hong Kong. Island Cafe's OK, but they don't do congee.

Any bets on how long it takes HKR to rent the space out to another third-rate 'international' style chain?

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 3:59am
Print Post  
Ger

McD's is still in IFC on level 2

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:30am
Print Post  
Oh, really?  Well, thanks for that, Twinkleberry.  Not for the first time, I was probably looking on the wrong floor  Grin

OTT - they do congee at Peony.  A friend recently even managed to get some in the evening.  Trouble is they don't open till 11 am.  Some of us need to grab a quick, inexpensive hot breakfast before moving on to greater things.

Posh shopping malls, like Pacific Place, fail to realise this basic fact.  If people can't find a place to eat cheaply and nutritiously, even big spenders will avoid your posh shops.

I am not a fan of Island Café.  A Canteen here would be grand but I am not holding my breath.

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Canteen would definitely be welcome. Or MX or Tsui Wah. Better still, skip MX and open a Maxims restaurant. Discovery Bay Garden?

IP Logged

lfme

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
@1 – Super Super was owned by Café Coral so doubt very much you will get one!

@mcdivot – Also doubt that you will get M&S or Pret. They would not be able to make a profit in DB

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Would love a food court, open seating, lots of different foods like those in SE Asia, notably Malaysia, where I just spent a break. Food cooked on the spot, owner operated, not big chains. Resident participation and community input encouraged.

IP Logged

Andy Wong

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 3:26am
Print Post  
CG wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:45am:
Would love a food court, open seating, lots of different foods like those in SE Asia, notably Malaysia, where I just spent a break. Food cooked on the spot, owner operated, not big chains. Resident participation and community input encouraged.

Like this idea, especially the "Resident participation and community input encouraged" part!

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Andy, that can only happen if it coincides with profit minded HKR plans.

The new expanded commercial space could easily incorporate this concept. Flexibility is the chief advantage, testing and quickly changing offerings to suit the market, with lower overhead investment.

Not only food but other items like groceries, small businesses and even flea market second hand goods, a section for residents with special rates, charity or non-profit uses. Standalone stalls for rent long or short term, kids, teens trying out entrepreneurial skills, booksellers, part time adventurists, hair styling, portraits, you name it, DB can be a model pilot programme unique in HK. If it attracts more people, income and growth to DB, it would justify the lower rentals needed to support such a joint private public partnership, showing that being pro-community is not at odds with profit.

IP Logged

parkvaledevelopment

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #12 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Cali Mex is opening in north plaza, Pizza Express also soon, wonder how long these will last?

IP Logged

Heywood_Jablome

Forum for DB residents

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:01am
Print Post  
What is particularly stupid is that DB is about to get an influx of construction workers who, presumably, would like somewhere cheap to eat. Super Super would have been the logical choice. Clearly no joined up thinking from the fkwits at HKRI.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #14 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 8:54am
Print Post  
I don't believe HKR is stupid. if they were stupid, HKR would not have been able to milk money from the residents.

As for the issue of construction workers (if you are referring to those involved in building and involved village external wall renovation), these usually have their meals organised by their supervisors (take-away).

For the independent contractors doing jobs in various individual units, these people are very much on their own. In this case, the operative word for HKR is NOT they are stupid BUT rather HKR is not responsible for them or just simply don't care.

IP Logged

wessa

Forum for DB residents

Reply #15 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
BH wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 8:54am:
....For the independent contractors doing jobs in various individual units, these people are very much on their own.

And most likely factored into the renovation cost and also paid by their supervisors and ultimately DB owners/residents so ultimately HKR wins either way.
It's called win-win situation, HKR wins twice  Cheesy

IP Logged

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #16 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 7:47am
Print Post  
BH wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 8:54am:
I don't believe HKR is stupid. if they were stupid, HKR would not have been able to milk money from the residents.

For the independent contractors doing jobs in various individual units, these people are very much on their own. In this case, the operative word for HKR is NOT they are stupid BUT rather HKR is not responsible for them or just simply don't care.

Yes they ARE stupid.  Or perhaps selfish and ignorant is a better description but I think they just don't care because that's the culture in Hong Kong Sad

HKR only think about profits even if it's to the detriment of providing something which benefits the community they serve.  They should encourage or even subsidize businesses which improve the services available to residents including this great idea of a food court from Coppergoose:

CG wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 3:57am:

That can only happen if it coincides with profit minded HKR plans.

The new expanded commercial space could easily incorporate this concept. Flexibility is the chief advantage, testing and quickly changing offerings to suit the market, with lower overhead investment.

IP Logged

chair

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2017 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Totally agree with that from 1.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint