Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Pom Passport (Read 9484 times)
Paul A

Forum for DB residents

Pom Passport
Jan 22nd, 2017 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
I know there have been several threads in the past about the new passport renewal system, but I can't find them.

Have set up an account on line and am ready to send off the old one. But what I can't find is anything about how to send it.

I seem to recall that people said that you can't register the old passport ... but it is still valid !  What has every one else done ?

What happens if you send it regular air mail and it goes missing ?  Thanks for advice.

IP Logged

stald

Forum for DB residents

Re: Pom Passport
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 11:35am
Print Post  
The renewal of U.K. Passports on the website is very efficient these days, and has a full set of information explaining what to do, what's required, where to send it, how to deal with existing passports, etc.
It is not cheap, but the service is good, efficient and quick.

IP Logged

Paul A

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Yes, it seems very efficient. But the one thing that I can't find is which way to post the old passport back. It is still valid, so I am loathe to post it unregistered.  However, I recall people saying on the forum that it could not go registered and had to go normal post .

I can't find any reference to the type of postage to use. That is all I am asking.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 9:08pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
Ger, I don't think that link is to the Consulate but to a private organization. They appear to be quite knowledgable and charge $500 to help you process the application which seems to include the courier fee. As far as I recall the British Consulate  have washed their hands on the whole passport issue with the exception of emergency documents.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Oh, really.  Sorry about that blip.  Should have put on my glasses.

The new system was not quite up and running when I renewed my passport and I was able to take the old one along to the consulate but the new one arrived by ordinary post from UK.

I can understand why the OP doesn't want to just stick his passport in an envelope and it makes some sense that they won't register it.  I had the same problem with a tax return.  The tax office used some kind of funny UK postcode which is only understandable in the UK.  Typical!

I too would like to know the answer to the question for next renewal if I am still around  Smiley

PS  I wonder what the consulate is for, if it isn't there to assist UK citizens with problems - teach English and make huge profits I suppose.

IP Logged

Paul A

Forum for DB residents

Reply #6 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 2:48am
Print Post  
I finally found a small reference to being able to get it 'signed for' on the actual form you have to send.

The process itself is relatively straightforward except they want a colour scan of every page of any non British passport you have if you are a dual national ! Aside from that they seem to take the old passport as proof of who you are so long as it is still in date. I

It is also much cheaper than getting my Oz passport renewed. GBP 110 all in as opposed to about GBP 250 from Oz. But the lack of a local contact does leave you feeling like you are dealing with a black hole. This is why the company the Ger  put up must be doing well.

It is funny how the private sector can step in to the void left by the (UK) public sector and make a profit. Surely the Consulates could have provided the same service for a fee to help cover their overheads. or where their overheads too great to recover ??

IP Logged

MCC

Forum for DB residents

Reply #7 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 3:00am
Print Post  
You are obviously prepared to pay a private company for such service. Be honest: Would you be prepared to pay your government too to cover their overheads? Or would you complain and say as a British national, there should be entitlement (for free service)?  Cheesy

IP Logged

Paul A

Forum for DB residents

Reply #8 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 7:04am
Print Post  
I am not prepared to pay and did it myself.  However, I can't help be see the irony in fact that the private sector can make a margin that supports UK staff here in HKG doing a job that was once done by the consulate.

Maybe it is that the benefits that the consulate staff are given is much more than the private sector pay themselves.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Consular assistance is help and advice provided by the diplomatic agents of a country to citizens of that country who are living or traveling overseas, so yes, I would complain if it were offered as a paid service.  Yet without any assistance at all we are reduced to exploring all avenues that may lead us nowhere.  Frankly, I think it's quite appalling on the part of the British Consulate not to provide a general help line service.

IP Logged

MCC

Forum for DB residents

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 8:10am
Print Post  
It's called BREXIT for a reason... they brexited from HKG a long time ago...

IP Logged

Paul A

Forum for DB residents

Reply #11 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Ger wrote on Jan 25th, 2017 at 8:03am:
Consular assistance is help and advice provided by the diplomatic agents of a country to citizens of that country who are living or traveling overseas, so yes, I would complain if it were offered as a paid service.  Yet without any assistance at all we are reduced to exploring all avenues that may lead us nowhere.  Frankly, I think it's quite appalling on the part of the British Consulate not to provide a general help line service.

In Australia , if you ring the British Consulate for help on passport issues, you have to call a 1902 number... that is charged at premium rate to raise revenue for the service.

Everything is user pay these days. HKG is one of the few Governments with money to spend and one that is not trying to raise revenue to pay for their basic services.

But they will go the way of the UK / Oz eventually . 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint