Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Domestic Helper salary raised to $4,310 (Read 21940 times)
garmato
God Member

Domestic Helper salary raised to $4,310
Oct 23rd, 2016 at 11:43am
Print Post  
In case anyone missed the news from last month, the Hong Kong government approved raising helper's minimum salary to $4,310 ($100 increase). Any contract signed on or after October 1st must adhere to the new change.

Food allowance if given is now $1,037 ($42 increase).

Helper groups were seeking an increase of the minimum wage to $5,000 per month but without success.

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/employment/recruitment/foreigndomestichelper.htm

IP Logged

DB household sale

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Re: Domestic Helper salary raised to $4,310
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Getting pricier, but still fair

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
fair to whom?

IP Logged

RunningRoach
God Member

Daaaaaamnnn Doggy!

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2016 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
fair to everyone involved.

IP Logged

Xxxx

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 12:05am
Print Post  
RunningRoach wrote on Nov 24th, 2016 at 11:49pm:

The use of "still" suggests something else.

You really think that 4310 HKD to work 6 days a week with often long working hours is "fair" ?

IP Logged

MCC

Forum for DB residents

Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 12:50am
Print Post  
I think people here may be confused with the term "minimum salary". If anyone feels the minimum salary is not enough, everyone is free to increase! There are no laws against it!

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 3:55am
Print Post  
Xxxx wrote on Nov 25th, 2016 at 12:05am:

You really think that 4310 HKD to work 6 days a week with often long working hours is "fair" ?

It is fair if food and lodging are provided in addition.  The sum of 4310 HKD is 'spending money' and you may believe this or not:  it is more than many Hong Kong residents, including myself, have to play with at the end of a month.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Ger wrote on Nov 25th, 2016 at 3:55am:
Xxxx wrote on Nov 25th, 2016 at 12:05am:

It is fair if food and lodging are provided in addition.  The sum of 4310 HKD is 'spending money' and you may believe this or not:  it is more than many Hong Kong residents, including myself, have to play with at the end of a month.

Exactly, my thoughts.

IP Logged

MCC

Forum for DB residents

Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 4:53am
Print Post  
"Fair"... what is "fair"? And who decides (the employer of a domestic helper?)?
average monthly income in Phil: HK$ 1,250.--
min. wage for Phil. domestic helper in HKG: HK$ 4,310.-- Is that unfair because at home they would get less?
average monthly income in
Hong Kong:  HK$ 15,000
Switzerland: HK$ 47,000 (fair because cheese is more expensive than chicken feet?)
Italy:           HK$ 18,000
Germany:    HK$ 30,000 (fair because sausage is more expensive than Pizza)?
China:          HK$ 4,900
Cuba:           HK$  220.-- (fair because rum is for free?)
Australia:     HK$ 26,000.--
Thailand:     HK$ 3,000.-- (fair because the sun shines so much?)
How much is a Big Mac in Switzerland? Hong Kong? Philippines? No Big Mac in Cuba therefore lowest income?
I think we ought to be careful when "deciding" what the domestic helpers in HKG "deserve"... that's what I take here from the comments... we decide what "they deserve"... Don't like such communication!

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 5:50am
Print Post  
Quoting average salary in Hong Kong and elsewhere is meaningless.  Read my post.  It is not a 'wage' or a 'salary'.  It is pocket money and as pocket money it is quite fair. 

IP Logged

Xxxx

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #10 - Nov 25th, 2016 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
MCC wrote on Nov 25th, 2016 at 12:50am:
I think people here may be confused with the term "minimum salary". If anyone feels the minimum salary is not enough, everyone is free to increase! There are no laws against it!

I don't think anyone is confused. Not sure to get the point either, obviously their salary can be higher, but we're talking about the legal oe here, not an hypothetical case.

MCC wrote on Nov 25th, 2016 at 4:53am:
"Fair"... what is "fair"? And who decides (the employer of a domestic helper?)?
average monthly income in Phil: HK$ 1,250.--
min. wage for Phil. domestic helper in HKG: HK$ 4,310.-- Is that unfair because at home they would get less?

I often hear this kind of argument " it's fine since they would get 10% of that in their country. Even in a doctor in their country doesn't get that. Etc."
I don't believe this kind of argument is morally right, shouldn't your work compensation be based  on the residing country standards?
With this kind of reasoning we could justify quite a lot of awful things... Let's pick up even poorer country's immigrants...

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #11 - Nov 27th, 2016 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Ger

It is not pocket money it is a wage/salary

IP Logged

Tumnus
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2016 at 11:39am
Print Post  
my thoughts exactly twinkleberry

IP Logged

RunningRoach
God Member

Daaaaaamnnn Doggy!

Reply #13 - Nov 28th, 2016 at 5:33am
Print Post  
  • Remember, this is imported labor. 
  • This is not a wage/salary you would give to a Hong Kong Resident / Permanent resident. 
  • This is strictly a imported labor contract, specifically for this function and there is a reason why many foreign workers opt for it vs. local employment within their country.
  • If anyone wants to pay more, they can.
  • If anyone wants to give hong kong residents who cannot find work anywhere else, more with minimum wage requirement, they can.
  • for those making a bundle, please feel free to pay as much as you think is 'fair'; for those who can afford to help out more, please do; for those who feel it is fair for imported labor, please continue.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #14 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 11:17am
Print Post  
For a few helpers, MAW is pocket money because they have no familial obligations. It is their own money to spend and use. But for the majority of helpers, the MAW is their salary and not enough to support family especially if there's a sickness, death, accident, school enrollment, Christmas, natural disaster (earthquake, typhoon, flooding).

MAW protects helpers by ensuring they have a guaranteed wage. The employer is free to pay any amount above the MAW. There are helpers who are paid nothing, only sponsored to have a visa. At the extreme end there are helpers engaged in illegal work earning more than locals and in excess of $10,000 per month.

IP Logged

RoxyRider

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Does that include the $$ when they bring friends and family to party / sleep over in your house when you are away on vacation??

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
That happened to me.  I now do everything myself.

Semantics about whether it's called salary or pocket money aside, the ones in DB dress well and used smartphones long before others could afford them.  There are even some who have no financial need for a real job but have saved well and now just do occasional part-time cleaning.

The purpose of writing this is not to bash helpers but ask those who rise up in liberal anger about FDH salary and conditions to look more closely the place they live in - I mean Hong Kong - and look at the genuine poor.  They are NOT foreign domestic helpers.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Ger, Good morning.

I can't praise you enough.

Thank you.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #18 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 4:19am
Print Post  
I think this topic got a bit sidetracked. Let me put the topic into perspective.

I think we can all agree that it is a considered a luxury to have a cook, housekeeper, driver which used to be affordable only to the upper class. In developed countries, the middle class usually can't even afford to have a babysitter.

The Philippines is a good example of a country largely stuck in time with little to no progress made since the fall of Marcos. A maid costs as little as HK$ 250 per month outside the cities and HK$ 500 per month in the cities. It's no wonder there's been an exodus of millions of Filipinos for three generations seeking work in servitude abroad.

If you want context about whether HKSAR's MAW is fair to FDH, you only need look at the comparable salaries in other countries. In most countries, Filipino helpers are paid less than half the HK MAW.

Singapore recently increase their MAW to SGD 550 which is just under HK$ 3,000. In Kuwait, a maid is paid HK $1,900, in Saudi Arabia HK$ 3,200. Taiwan is now HK$ 4,000, still behind Hong Kong.

In Hong Kong, the MAW is now $4,310. If you add food allowance, this is HK$ 5,347

The Philippine government is trying to push for a global MAW of USD 400 (equiv HK$ 3,100 per month). Most countries have resisted, some have adopted it.

There are few countries offering better salary than Hong Kong. These are Japan HK$ 10,000, Canada close HK$ 10,000 (based on minimum wage per hour), and illegally in mainland China HK$ 8,000.

There are already more Filipinos working in China as maids than in Hong Kong, attracted by a higher salary. I think many of those are also signed in Hong Kong but illegally stationed in China to do house chores. They usually have to make a pit stop in Hong Kong every 3 months to renew the China visa.

As for the tiny few in Discovery Bay who "don't need a real job", they ARE working, but you just don't know what they are doing. There are some helpers bragging about making over HK $30,000 per month.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #19 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 6:36am
Print Post  
Sidetracked in what respect, garmato?  What kind of discussion were you expecting from your OP?  It can only be about fairness in the local context.  Conditions overseas are unknowable.

And if you are going to add food allowance, then why not also add accommodation and utilities?  FDH here are entitled to all of these in addition to their salary unless they choose to break the rules and live out.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #20 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Ger, helpers can't choose to live out without the consent of their employer. It takes two to tango. The topic is getting sidetracked when you start talking about how the MAW is not a salary nor a wage. Sorry that you had a bad experience with a helper but don't paint all of them with the same brush. Many employers hold a grudge from personal experience just as helpers also hold a grudge against employers.

Many helpers don't want to work for Indians or Chinese particularly because they are too strict and will work them to the bone. To some extent they don't want to work for Spanish, Italian, French, Korean employers because these are too fussy and hot tempered.

Now, I say the topic is getting sidetracked because the discussion was turning to comparing LOW SKILL workers such as domestic helpers to that of regular workers. $4,310 should not be compared to $15,000 of local workers. It would be more appropriate to compare the salaries of foreign helpers in other countries.

As for food allowance, do you know many employers give neither food nor food allowance even if stated on the contract? Likewise, many employers underpay their helper or even make them work in 2 or 3 different locations. (Not only the employer's home, but also the home of their parents or sibling or colleague). It's quite common now for employer to share a helper, one will sign but they will split the MAW between them.

Two years ago in 2014, helpers were seeking MAW increase to $4,500. This year they sought $5,000. But each time the government only allowed less than 3% increase each year.

It's a fact that as the economies of Philippines and Indonesia continue to grow, the standard of living and price of goods, services, transportation also go up. The only saving grace right now is the Philippine Peso is weak, making the remittance sent home worth a lot more.

As others pointed out, an employer can pay more than the $4,310 MAW, there are many who pay $6,000 to $10,000 here in Discovery Bay.

IP Logged

wessa

Forum for DB residents

Reply #21 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Never mind other countries, etc...
HK minimum local wage is HKD 32.5 per hour.
50 hours per week , 4 weeks per month, it totals HKD6,500 or 7,500 at the extreme.
Working at Park & Rob 29 days of the month might get it up to about 10K a month.
Try living on that, pay rent  transport, etc...
Do FDH have these expenses?
Spare a thought for local simple workers before you cry for imported labour.
No, I will not enter into a discussion about employers who take advantage of their helpers. That's breaking the law.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
Agree.  I was watching an RTHK programme about a woman who paid $6,000 a month for a subdivided flat of less than 200 sq. ft.  Her salary was $10,000 and rather than being able to do what she liked with the remaining $4,000, she had to feed herself and her mother and pay transport and utilities.  This is my point about the FDH salary.

This thread is not being sidetracked or hijacked.  The OP implies that FDH are poorly recompensed but the matter needs to be seen in a local perspective.  Comparison with foreign countries is quite irrelevant.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #23 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
If you really want to compare a foreign helper to local worker on minimum wage, then the foreign helper would be earning $10,000 to $15,000 based on per hour work at local minimum wage. I'm sure they would gladly accept Hong Kong's local minimum wage to calculate their salary.

In fact, this is how they calculate the salary of foreign helpers in Canada, at CAD$ 10.50 per hour. And helpers only have to work a few hours only per day, they can live outside, they don't have to work on weekends, and if the employer needs the helper to work longer hours, they have to pay overtime.

The local media has often reported about how tens of thousands of foreign helpers left Hong Kong in droves to take advantage of the path to Canadian citizenship. You only need work 2 contracts in Hong Kong, apply illegally in Hong Kong for a caregiver/nanny job in Canada and after 2 years in Canada you become a citizen. It's also the reason so many employers got pissed to learn their newly signed helper was only using them for a contract to jump to Canada without any word to their employer.

So in that regard, no, you can't compare a foreign helper to a local Hong Kong minimum wage worker. These are completely different issues that should not be compared.

Maybe that $10,000 salary minimum wage worker should take up "local domestic helper" job. She can charge $100+ per hour, charge for transportation, and charge additional for extra services (walking dog, babysitting, cooking). She can easily make double her current salary.

IP Logged

wessa

Forum for DB residents

Reply #24 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Yeah, right . Whatever Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Paul A

Forum for DB residents

Reply #25 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 4:46am
Print Post  
Given that most Domestic Helpers want to stay in HKG after the end of one contract, the salary and allowance must be fair. You only have to look on this forum at the number of helpers looking for a new family when their contract runs out. If the salary was not reasonable, they would not want to stay.

Conversely , there appears to be no lack of willing applicants to come to HKG or the authorities would need to put the salary to the level needed to attract them.

Employers can pay what they like to retain better  the helpers. But the minimum salary seems to be enough for there to substantial demand for the positions.

It is a good example of supply an demand.

IP Logged

MCC

Forum for DB residents

Reply #26 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 12:51am
Print Post  
not sure if this logic is correct; maybe it's simply the lesser evil here...

IP Logged

wessa

Forum for DB residents

Reply #27 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
MCC wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 12:51am:
not sure if this logic is correct; maybe it's simply the lesser evil here...

You may be correct to some degree but if you elaborate more we will most likely end up where we have started from. ........

IP Logged

RoxyRider

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #28 - Dec 22nd, 2016 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Mind you, they have covered housing (if they live with you, aka no rent, no mortgage), no electricity bills to pay, food almost usually covered. Housing is the biggest portion of expenses for working adults.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint