Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Regrexit Greenvale Style (Read 27013 times)
ryuro

Forum for DB residents

Regrexit Greenvale Style
Jul 18th, 2016 at 11:49am
Print Post  
So I come home to find a flyer stamped “urgent” in my post box.

Seems ‘lots of owners’ take issue with most of the renovation items having been recently passed at the last owners' meeting.

Who are these “A Group of Greenvale Owners”?  You want support, identify yourselves.

Otherwise you need to come to grips with the fact YOU LOST.  This is how democracy works.  I can understand where we live, the concept of democracy is somewhat grey, but the results were clear-cut.

Trying to get a “do-over” based on claims that the voting forms and presentations were confusing and ‘ambiguous’ is asinine.

However, having been in Hong Kong for a very long time, there probably is something to the claim of funny business going on behind the scenes with the tendering process (particularly in DB), but frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn anymore.  Let’s just get the renovation done.

Yes, the renovation is probably more expensive, but in reality we should be on our second one by now.  In that context, I think it is very reasonable given the extent of what needs to be done.

There was a quorum and there was a vote with clear results.  What you are doing is seeking to deny a MAJORITY of owners their chosen decisions.

Apologies, but I am pissed-off because this smacks to me of nothing more than the petty, factional politics of these owners meetings.  On the bright side, the “A Group of Greenvale Owners” will NEVER get a quorum to undue those decisions.

Let it go and let us finally get our long-awaited (and desperately need) renovation.

R

PS.   However, I think the Brits voting themselves out of the EU was plan dumb and should have a “do-over” (;
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2016 at 1:12pm by ryuro »  

IP Logged

UpHigh
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Re: Regrexit Greenvale Style
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2016 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
How funny, I heard of something like that in another village were a resident who did not like the outcome of the reno proposal went around with an unsigned letter accusing the proposed contractor of all sorts. As soon as the proposal got voted down, he withdrew the letter and nothing more was said on the subject.

I think the answer here is to ensure that the management fees are set at a level that people pay on a monthly basis and don't get lumped with a large excess every 7 or so years.

IP Logged

LockedOut

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:10am
Print Post  
But...sigh...wouldn't it be great if the owners had voted to actually do something useful with their money, rather than just paint/change the colour of the outside.  How about:
1. A decent playground (the current one has been taped off for years, and it's only suitable for toddlers anyway). Put in something fun to use for a bigger age range.

2. Use the paths and grassy areas behind the buildings for nice seating areas, play space, BBQ, gardens, trampolines or SOMETHING!  Currently they are just areas for dogs to crap.

3. Turn the roof into a nice sitting-out roofgarden or something.

4. Put some furniture in the lobbies (similar to other buildings which have sofas etc).

5. Clean up the hopper rooms, put in rubbish chutes and recycling chutes so the hallways don't stink of trash, and cleaners don't have to bring it all down in the lifts, stinking them up as well (these chutes can be attached to the outside of buildings, around the back outside current hopper rooms).

6. Invest in cockroach control.  The Greens are completely infested. We get our place sorted using biocycle etc but the little critters just come back under the walls from the neighbours and the hopper room.  Previous places/countries I've lived in have this as part of the building/compound routine, not up to individual owners.

I am just a tenant so had no say as regards the vote.  But a patch-up job to change the colour and do a few touch-ups inside isn't going to improve the value of the buildings by much, and definitely won't make them a nicer place to live.  There needs to be a desire to create a community, with spaces for that community to meet/relax/play (similar to most other villages in DB, even the cheap ones).

Invest in actual changes, not just cosmetics.

IP Logged

Wing

Welcome to Discovery Bay
Flea Market!

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 12:09am
Print Post  
Is there a website or an open forum about the Greenvale renovation ?

Thx

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:00am
Print Post  
LockedOut wrote on Jul 19th, 2016 at 9:10am:

Use the paths and grassy areas behind the buildings for nice seating areas, play space, BBQ, gardens, trampolines or SOMETHING!  Currently they are just areas for dogs to crap...

Invest in cockroach control.  The Greens are completely infested. We get our place sorted using biocycle etc but the little critters just come back under the walls from the neighbours and the hopper room.  Previous places/countries I've lived in have this as part of the building/compound routine, not up to individual owners...

But a patch-up job to change the colour and do a few touch-ups inside isn't going to improve the value of the buildings by much, and definitely won't make them a nicer place to live...

Invest in actual changes, not just cosmetics.

Some good ideas there.  Residents, though, can only vote on what is put before them unfortunately.  Apart from the essential work, which is very necessary, much of the rest is rubbish crap cosmetic stuff that will neither increase the value of the property, nor affect safety and comfort of the buildings.

The hard fact is that the cost of this work is extortionate and many simply can't afford to pay for it.  The contractor will not get his money.  And then what?  Work half completed, scaffolding left rotting, who knows?  The OP should be careful what he wishes for.

IP Logged

HardHat

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Can't afford to pay? Too bad.

A resolution passed at an Owners' Meeting is binding on all owners. The time for owners to make their concerns known was before the resolution approving the work was passed.

Now that the resolution has been passed, under the Deed of Mutual Covenant CM has the authority to sell your flat to recover any outstanding debt. My recommendation is to remortgage your property yourself and pay.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 4:27am
Print Post  
HardHat wrote on Jul 20th, 2016 at 2:38am:
The time for owners to make their concerns known was before the resolution approving the work was passed.

They did.  And options are well known by those unable to pay but will not assist the smooth progress of the works.  Better had their concerns been taken into account by those who voted for non-essential work - corporate owners, some of whom may be HKRI - and the scope of the work adjusted accordingly.

IP Logged

HardHat

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2016 at 5:38am
Print Post  
Sadly, you cannot rely on the good will of others, especially when it comes to property. The big fish know all the angles, and can easily pick off the minnows. There is a reason that the little fish swim in shoals.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2016 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Anyone keeping tabs on this attempt to request for an EGM?

IP Logged

Herne

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2016 at 7:01am
Print Post  
I heard that a couple of the ringleaders are estate agents, with flats in the Greens, and were using their "professional" contact lists to ring around and get support.
Seems they are close to getting the 20%.

Apparently they got 100 or so angry owners to disrupt the first VOC meeting and demand a new vote.
Sounds like the VOC stood up to them and told them the get the 20% if they wanted a new owners meeting.

I think the problem is that a lot of people didn't bother reading the documents the VOC produced, didn't bother turning up to the briefing session the week before and either didn't bother coming to the owners meeting or left early because they were a bit "bored" by the presentation.
Democracy requires you to educate yourself about issues, and if you didn't bother spending a bit of time reading the documents and coming to vote, then it is your own fault if things don't go the way you might have wanted to to go if had actually made the effort.
Now the VOC, who have spent years getting it the renovation this far, have to waste more of their, and our, valuable time pandering to these owners. Lets hope the VOC doesn't just throw up their hands and walk away from the whole thing!

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Found another letter in my mailbox. Looks like they got the numbers they needed.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #11 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Please help me understand. Thanking you in advance for your patience.

With regards to the Village renovation, ample time was given together with breakdown of the cost that would be incurred. Everybody in the Village got the same information.

Apparently an AGM was held to vote if the Village Renovation should proceed. There was what I heard a resounding YES to the proposed renovation.

Then a few days or weeks later, I heard from my friends that a group of residents started canvasing for support to overturn the decision to renovation.

Question:

1. If those who later decide to go against the renovation because of the cost or disagree with the cost, then aren't they equally irresponsible.

Majority had agreed. So isn't there a democratic vote.

Another round of voting, isn't it a waste of everybody's time if it was reflected at the first AGM.

2. For those who wanted to have the renovation carried, apparently it was never fully renovated for the past 15 or more years, are frustrated.

Who is right and who is wrong?

It is a matter of time before our own village is affected in a similar fashion.

Life is already so complicated. I wondered why cant seem to find a simple solution to things that considered important to all.

IP Logged

Jerkfrey

Forum for DB residents

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2016 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Would like to know how will  City Management  verify those submitted letters? I wonder the 373 letters were fake one!

To those nonsense and drunkers who occupying Greenwood for 3 nights, how can you overturn a democratic polling result in such manner!

God bless the greens!

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 12:30am
Print Post  
Herne wrote on Jul 27th, 2016 at 7:01am:
Democracy requires you to educate yourself about issues...

Oh purleese, call it what you will - a valid vote perhaps - but do not call it democracy when vested interests and tender bid-rigging are suspected.  Education required all round.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #14 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 3:45am
Print Post  
If there is strong evidence of fraud and bid rigging, it should be presented and even get law enforcement involved. If this is just the attempt of a group of property investors with highly leveraged property holdings in the Greens who foresee the negative impact of the cost of renovation on their balance sheets plus the prospect of declining property values, I can only wish you good luck in getting a better deal but don't derail the much needed renovation project.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Jul 30th, 2016 at 4:20am
Print Post  
JojoS wrote on Jul 30th, 2016 at 3:45am:
If there is strong evidence of fraud and bid rigging, it should be presented and even get law enforcement involved.

It has been presented and is being investigated.  A better deal may not be achievable.  That is no reason to let the wool be pulled over our eyes and refer to the deal as 'democratic' as one poster above has done.  That was my point.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #16 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Any update on this?
Please

IP Logged

Dude

Welcome to Discovery Bay
Flea Market!

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
I just find it ridiculous that there are a group of people who can not accept defeat.  These individuals need to realise that with every year that we delay this renovation the cost will increase:  Labour rates go up on an annual basis due to a shortage of manpower, cost of living in HK is on a continuous rise.  We also need to accept that it has now been about 15 years since the greens have been renovated, and with the shoddy materials that are being used in our buildings, we need to accept that our buildings will start to show their age very quickly. 

It seems that there will be people who do not mind to live in buildings that look worse than Public Housing Estates.

IP Logged

chair

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Agree with you dude.

IP Logged

greenland2009

Forum for DB residents

Reply #19 - Sep 30th, 2016 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
PLEASE READ THIS YOURSELF TO SEE WHETHER WE ARE PAYING TOO MUCH.

Price  to be adjusted based on the current number and different in design standard.

www.hkis.org.hk/hkis/general/bsd/BuildingMainCostDataFINAL_e.pdf

Building Maintenance Cost Data Research

Aging of buildings in Hong Kong has become alarming concerns of the government and general public.  With the increasing public awareness of the importance of building maintenance, there has been growing number of building maintenance and repair works in Hong Kong.  However, information about building maintenance cost data or index is rarely found in the market.  The Hong Kong Institute of Surveyors (HKIS) has therefore collected a pool of relevant cost data in the market and commissioned a research assisted by the Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering, City University of Hong Kong (CityU) to establish this information system.  We hope it can give layman owners and Incorporated Owners a rough indication on the cost range for repairing and upkeeping their buildings.

BUILDING MAINTENANCE COST RANGE (at 1st Quarter 2012 Price Level)

No. of Storey
  Building Age
≥ 7 storeys

< 30 years & >7 Storeys
HK$38,000 – $45,000  per Unit 
≥ 30 years  & > 7 Storeys
HK$44,000 – $54,000  per Unit 

Remarks
  The cost range has generally covered the works of preliminaries (such as insurance, precautionary and protective measures, temporary electrical and water supplies, etc.), scaffolding, concrete/render/plaster repair at external walls and internal common areas, repainting, waterproofing works, replacement of windows and fire doors in common areas, fire safety improvement works, plumbing and drainage works, lighting system, rewiring etc.   
The works shall be carried out by a Registered General Building Contractor and supervised by qualified building professionals.
Cost information in this publication is indicative and for general guidance only and is based on rates at 1st Quarter 2012. 

IP Logged

greenland2009

Forum for DB residents

Reply #20 - Oct 11th, 2016 at 7:14pm
Print Post  

Another useful link on the latest building renovation cost in HK by HKU-building department. Again, this shows we are paying far too much above the market average. This must be something very wrong.

The cost data  will be useful for owners to decide whether to support the renovation project in Greenvale in the coming meeting.

http://bmc.versitech.hku.hk/total-building-maintenance-cost/

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #21 - Nov 27th, 2016 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Article on protest against bid-rigging in today's HK Standard:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=176809&story_id=47138368&con_t...

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
I understand the suspected bid-rigging of the Greens renovation was reported to the Competition Commission who have initiated no prosecution against anyone at all since their institution.  See "Wu said it is not a question of 'not doing things' but how the agency balances its 'approach and priorities'."

Why was the report not made to the ICAC?  And what can be done about bid-rigging?  It is rife in Hong Kong and affects us all.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/section-news.php?id=177545&story_id=47159546&d_str...

IP Logged

VivienDB

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #23 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Do anybody know what hapened to the thread that was here yesterday for the prices of the renovation?

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 8:30am
Print Post  
It has disappeared or been deleted.  Any guesses why and by whom?

IP Logged

VivienDB

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #25 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Ger wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 8:30am:
It has disappeared or been deleted.  Any guesses why and by whom?

maibe Trump or Putin?

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #26 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
I can still read the thread if I go to my own page, open 'view last 20 posts' and then click on the heading of the post I wrote.  The entire thread comes up.  You can try it.

IP Logged

greenland2009

Forum for DB residents

Reply #27 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 4:41am
Print Post  
www.hkis.org.hk/hkis/general/bsd/BuildingMainCostDataFINAL_e.pdf

This was posted earlier on the historical building maintenance cost in HK.

The role of Quantity Surveryor( QS)  is to review & control the cost of project. They have the access of current prices in the market including all districts in HK. To understand whether the tender prices are acceptable or not. QS will normally compare the tender price received with the market price or similiar projects conducted. Projects in DBmay attractive few percentage higher prices than those in Kowloon or NT Districts.
From the tender analysis prepared by the QS for this project:
A)external wall - around 22% over the estimate
B)ground floor lobby work including life interiors- 2.7 times of the estimate
C)renovate typical floor lobbies- 1.3 times of the estimate

From the above price summary, it will not be too difficult to made the decision. The VOC should just proceed the project for item A. Item B & C are far too expensive. However,  from the communication from VOC, they still  want to proceed the whole scope for this project & they also have failed to negotiate the price down  further.

It will not be too difficult for all owners to guess the motive for doing so ? In commerical world, this tender should should be reinvited and more capable bidders are considered.

IP Logged

VivienDB

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #28 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 8:54am
Print Post  
greenland2009 wrote on Jan 31st, 2017 at 4:41am:
A)external wall - around 22% over the estimate
B)ground floor lobby work including life interiors- 2.7 times of the estimate
C)renovate typical floor lobbies- 1.3 times of the estimate

you mean like 270% and 130% more than estimate?

IP Logged

greenland2009

Forum for DB residents

Reply #29 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
correct. You can find the tender analysis in the notice board as well .

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #30 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Make no mistake the root cause is rigged tender-bidding.  No competition enables a contractor effectively to choose its own price and expect it to be accepted.  It is happening all over Hong Kong and no one is doing anything about it.

IP Logged

Nan

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #31 - Feb 6th, 2017 at 2:44am
Print Post  
Ah it's my post. Why is it disappeared?  Cry

I tried Ger's way, i can still see it from this link:

http://www.discoverybayforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2611/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1484047385/1...

VivienDB wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 7:28am:
Do anybody know what hapened to the thread that was here yesterday for the prices of the renovation?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint