Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ebeneezers - staggeringly incompetent (Read 21876 times)
gaijin1

Forum for DB residents

Ebeneezers - staggeringly incompetent
Jun 26th, 2015 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
This evening at 10.30 I visited Ebeneezers. After all, I had just got back on the ferry and fancied a kebab to take home. Not unreasonable for a Friday night.

"1 lamb kebab please"

"Oh, I am sorry sir we have no meat"

I probably do not need to elaborate on how the rest of the conversation went!

Dear Ebeneezers manager,

You are a crappity smacking kebab shop. To have no kebabs any night, let alone a Friday (which should be a lucrative night for you) is so incompetent that it is beyond words.

1. You shut at 11pm so this shouldn't even be an issue.

2. If you were just clearing out the kebab cooking stations in anticipation of an early close I could, almost, understand. (in fact, no I couldn't because you are a business and you should be maximising your revenue opportunities on your busiest night of the week) but you weren't, you had already cleaned it, ready to go home.

3. I do not know if you are a franchise or a branch of the parent company but I cannot imagine that the senior management / owners will be overly chuffed to find out how lax you are in your commitment to the job.

In short you are a crappity smacking disgrace and I am going to do everything that I can to make you,and your company, aware of it.

IP Logged

double-r-bar
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Re: Ebeneezers - staggeringly incompetent
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Please call 3622 3622 to make a complaint. They want to hear from you...

IP Logged

gaijin1

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I just bet they do  Angry

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Although I can understand your frustration, I believe it is an unfair complain.

Nobody can foresee business demand for any particular service or product. If any business can do just that, then we will not see businesses folding up.

In many restaurants in HK, you may occasional be unfortunate to have similar experience. If so, then choose something else from the menu, otherwise go somewhere else.

In ParknShop and Wellcome, there are few products that are frequently out of stock. These are huge well organised retail chains and yet they face similar problems.

IP Logged

gaijin1

Forum for DB residents

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Don't be so ridiculous.

Ebeneezers is a restaurant (in the loosest sense of the word anyway) that offers fast food, not haute cuisine. They advertise themselves as being open until 11pm. What other business would cease offering their product before the close? Would you expect Fusion to refuse to sell you a pint of milk 30 minutes before they shut or Hemingway to refuse to pour you a pint? If you are going to be open then serve your customers, otherwise close.

The staff and management at Ebeneezer are lazy, incompetent and lacking in any sense of customer awareness. They didn't refuse to serve me because they were 'out of stock', which makes your comparison erroneous. They refused to serve me because they had cleaned everything up for the night 30 minutes before their closing time so that they could leave early, putting themselves before their customers. Not, I might add, for the first time as I have caught them all closing up and going home at 10.45pm before. The management must be lacking in oversight and awareness of their staff to allow this to happen, or perhaps just have no clue about running a business.

It is logical to assume that Ebeneezer's busiest nights will be Friday and Saturday, if that were my business I would be opening later, not closing earlier, and offering a delivery service to the ferry terminal for people who pre-order whilst on their way back to DB. I can tell you categorically also that their branch in LKF (and I am sure in Wanchai also) don't close whenever they feel like it so the staff can slope off early.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2015 at 12:53am by gaijin1 »  

IP Logged

NewbieMum

Forum for DB residents

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2015 at 5:13am
Print Post  
They do mention last order 10:30. I also, last week, walked up the flight of stairs at 10:25ish and asked them what they had that could be made quick. They just had some kabob that they could make a roll for me. It wasn't wht I wanted do I left.
Yes they were sheepish abt it, but they possibly don't get many orders past 9:00/9:30. It's a fluctuation I guess, for them to not be ready to get food made at 10:30 on a Saturday is for the owners to take note of.
They used to hv this amazing fellow, I wish I remembered his name...who now works at Nevale, he was a great manager. And he's worked with them on and off since 2010 or earlier. They didn't pay him well despite his willingness to work with a smile, cater to last min request and manage staff who'd rather go home quick.
So here we are, and yes their move upstairs was a bad business decision. The now at Nevale manager had told them , but of course they weren't interested in his inputs.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Ebeneezer at Friday  & Sat nights is not good at all. All you can get before their closing time is the remaining of fried  meat, which is often too fat or overcooked ( as they probably take the rest of the meat from the cooking  trays) . I noticed that if sometimes I buy kebab in the afternoon, it is ok, but at night the taste is different.
As for closing time it is not a miracle : once I could not enter Fusion as they closed 10 minutes earlier, Berliner did same one day when there were no visitors. The best Thai sometimes doesn't have something they offer by menu.

IP Logged

Heywood_Jablome

Forum for DB residents

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2015 at 1:52am
Print Post  
I went there the other evening at 8.30pm. They still had chicken but were down to the last shavings of lamb. One would imagine that, still in the early evening, they would have had more on offer

IP Logged

Melita786
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2015 at 4:44am
Print Post  
Sounds to me like you had a lucky escape, gaijin! (and all the rest of you).

A weekend spent with stomach cramps, vomiting and dhiarrea is enough to dampen any allure of kebabs that look disturbingly like severed penises, gift wrapped in pitta bread.

And let's not forget the obligatory expense of Doctor's fees, come Monday morning either.

I went once, a lifetime ago, to Ebeneezers and endured all of the above.

Never again.

Ever.

IP Logged

Melita786
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2015 at 4:49am
Print Post  
Heywood_Jablome wrote on Jul 23rd, 2015 at 1:52am:
I went there the other evening at 8.30pm. They still had chicken but were down to the last shavings of lamb. One would imagine that, still in the early evening, they would have had more on offer

Ha! One pint too many if you're calling the meat lamb!   Grin

IP Logged

double-r-bar
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 9:37am
Print Post  
I think Ebeneezer's should be replaced with another food joint because it fails every test for quality and service. The people working there are incompetent, and the food is worse than any other place in DB. Sorry to say, but they need to GO!

IP Logged

Amalfi

Forum for DB residents

Reply #11 - Jul 30th, 2015 at 7:29am
Print Post  
lovely biryanis for take away

IP Logged

Melita786
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2015 at 6:49am
Print Post  
Amalfi wrote on Jul 30th, 2015 at 7:29am:

For a second there, I thought I was reading a comment from 'clover'.

Clover, like yourself, was a staunch Amy supporter, hated HKR, was very involved and knowledgeable about DB politics. He also introduced me to Ebeneezers and lamb biriyanis.

Your twin, perhaps?

IP Logged

Charles

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Aug 5th, 2015 at 3:12am
Print Post  
Someone really wanted a Kebab

IP Logged

D Resident

Forum for DB residents

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 10:20am
Print Post  
If this early closing and lack of "meat" continues then surely the health clinic will go out of business!

IP Logged

CarolinaWong

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #15 - Oct 6th, 2015 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Amalfi wrote on Jul 30th, 2015 at 7:29am:

agree

IP Logged

Heywood_Jablome

Forum for DB residents

Reply #16 - Oct 7th, 2015 at 3:41am
Print Post  
Anyone who thinks that their biryanis (or any or the rest of their Indian food) are 'lovely' clearly has no knowledge of, or appreciation for, Indian cuisine

IP Logged

Chilean-Moron

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Tastes. Like shyt anyways

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #18 - Oct 25th, 2015 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Chilean-Moron wrote on Oct 24th, 2015 at 1:16pm:
Tastes. Like shyt anyways

OK, you get a +1 for that since it made me laugh. Smiley

IP Logged

Azzy

Forum for DB residents

Reply #19 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 9:42am
Print Post  
now they are rippin off

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #20 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Okay, so my review of Ebeneezers.
(I had a hangover, don't judge me!)

-If you check their website, you will see that the DB pricelist is higher than any of their other stores.

-A 'lamb' kebab is a staggering 83bucks.

-Despite being a takeaway, clearly, they charge 10% service charge for eat in, the only actual service is that you dont need to get your food from the counter. This takes the kebab price to HK$91.3, which is CRAZY.

-My order being placed the put something in the microwave, I assume the meat...because there was nothing on the rotisserie.

-The kebab itself was almost entirely iceberg lettuce. I asked for spicy, but it was done wrong and only had the mint sauce in it. No table sauces are provided. At a guess, there was about 20g (HKD 4.6 a gram, if you will) of actual 'meat'. Still hungry, I ordered samosas. 38 for 3, which is more than the 32 at other locations which also do not charge service. Microwave on again!

Total bill HK$133.1

I could have had a full lunch set at Solera for that! (which is really really good, by the way)
Never again
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2016 at 8:10am by HK1980 »  

IP Logged

vice_chair

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #21 - Jan 25th, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
And still it is one of the few restaurants that doesnt close down

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1