Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DB car hire service = useless (Read 13403 times)

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

DB car hire service = useless
Sep 26th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Been trying for 2 hours straight trying to get through, continually pressing redial and get a message saying all their lines are busy and to call back later.  Does anyone know why they don't have a system where you get put in a queue so your call can be answered by the next available operator?  Are they dotards or retards?  Do they prefer someone to call them 86 times rather than have a fair system where your call gets answered in due time.  I don't know wtf is wrong with them unless its a one man operation.  The current set up is pure luck of the draw if you happen to call just as they've hung up on the previous caller.

IP Logged

RunningRoach
God Member

Daaaaaamnnn Doggy!

Re: DB car hire service = useless
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 12:58am
Print Post  
Only reason is there is so that HKR can say that a taxi type service exists and to keep the taxi's out.  I guess it serves its purpose.

Of course it can easily be optimized to make twice the cash that it does now, if you just had people who cared running it.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Sep 28th, 2017 at 6:21am
Print Post  
DB Hire car - I appreciate if anybody can throw some light on this issue.

I returned from Mui Wo and was heading to North Plaza for a dinner gathering with a party of 4.

We called the Hire Car to pick us up at the Ferry Pier. Driver picked us up and picked another couple who was heading towards the hospital block.

Then at the hospital block, mother and son got up and headed for Chanti.

Finally after that we arrived at North Plaza.

It seems it may be faster if we just took the bus to North Plaza.

Is this the usual / normal practice? Or were we short changed?

We presumed it is normal practice because it happened many times before.

Thank you.

IP Logged

df2017

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2017 at 9:53am
Print Post  
I've had similiar problems. If you call near the time you want to travel, there's a good chance they won't be available or pick up the phone. If you do it in advance, they say to call back closer to the time. Pointless.

IP Logged

hongkongpauli

Forum for DB residents

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 2:06am
Print Post  
What I find irritating/frustrating is that when you book a hire car they charge you for booking the car, I thought that this gave you sole use of the hire car, no, they still pick people up along the way and charge them the standard rate.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
hongkongpauli wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 2:06am:
What I find irritating/frustrating is that when you book a hire car they charge you for booking the car, I thought that this gave you sole use of the hire car, no, they still pick people up along the way and charge them the standard rate. 

In some situations, I am happy to accommodate. Eg along the main road, rushing to the Ferry Pier in the morning, since many are in a hurry not to miss the ferry to Central. Eg Boarding at the from the same pick-up point.

Unfortunately, it is getting very frequent we get to take a tour of DB before we reach our destination lately. In at least one instance, the bus was faster because when we reached our destination in the hired car, the bus that we past earlier had arrived earlier in the North Plaza.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 12:11am
Print Post  
I was under the impression that a hire car booking is not exclusive. One time, I got into the hire car at the NSW pier and there were already people inside who had gotten on elsewhere. As I was feeling unwell, I asked how long it would take, fortunately I  was dropped off first.

Next time, ask when you book and again on boarding so you could decide if the bus would be faster.

IP Logged

Nan

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:31am
Print Post  
The hire car service is not exclusive.
The car is shared by passengers and you pay 20$ for one seat of a journey. But you could book the whole car for 120$ for 15 minutes, but you need tell them when you book it by phone.

It's always been like this, and i think it makes sense for a community like DB, otherwise you might see 3 times more cabs on the road.

You can find more info on DB Community website:
http://www.dbcommunity.hk/icms2/template?series=327&AID=4941&SID=337

CG wrote on Oct 2nd, 2017 at 12:11am:
I was under the impression that a hire car booking is not exclusive. One time, I got into the hire car at the NSW pier and there were already people inside who had gotten on elsewhere. As I was feeling unwell, I asked how long it would take, fortunately I  was dropped off first.

Next time, ask when you book and again on boarding so you could decide if the bus would be faster.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 1:52am
Print Post  
before I had a habit to take a hire car from plaza to Chianti and back. now I principally do not do it as I do not want my money go to their pockets for nothing. Just trying to plan my schedule. Late then late. Better than paying for nothing, especially when a lot of smelly dogs are placed behind)))

IP Logged

Andy

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Why you have to have a go at the dogs? Dogs are not allowed on the buses and, other than walking, the only form of transport they can use is the hire car.

Concentrate on the theme please

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 3:11am
Print Post  
Andy, concentrate on the smell of your pets please if you have them . We are talking about useless of DB taxi. Smelly dogs are a " bonus" : cannot breath sometimes . If a dog owner cannot wash the pets he may pay 150 and enjoy his exclusive trip. Many people do not hire taxi cause of dogs' smell. One of my friends has an allergy on dogs and cats, he cannot take a taxi by this reason

IP Logged

Andy

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Fair point about the allergies, but not confined to hire cars. Also taxis out of DB. The only way to get a dog out of DB to TC or SB is via taxi or a very long walk.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 9:49am
Print Post  
very long walk??? from where to where? 30 min max is a very short walk)))

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
fish22 wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 9:49am:

You can walk to TC or SB in 30 minutes? Either you’ve got Olympic standard fitness, or you know some amazing short-cuts.

IP Logged

Terry666

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #14 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Dogs need Taxi's?
Why?
All the dogs I know just want a ball to run after, praise, water, throw the ball again.... 'please'.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Terry666 wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 3:03pm:
Dogs need Taxi's?
Why?
All the dogs I know just want a ball to run after, praise, water, throw the ball again.... 'please'.... Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin some of the dogs' owners need taxi sometimes after local bars. dogs would not mind to walk for sure)

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:20am
Print Post  
Otis The Tramp wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 2:51pm:
fish22 wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 9:49am:

You can walk to TC or SB in 30 minutes? Either you’ve got Olympic standard fitness, or you know some amazing short-cuts.
We are talking about local taxis,  right? Hire cars will not drive you to TC or SB. Anyway, cycling is a way out)))

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint