Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The End of Recycling (Read 3387 times)
SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

The End of Recycling
Sep 8th, 2017 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Those in DB who have advocated the positioning of unsightly, smelly and mis-used recycling bins all over our villages will finally have to face the moment of truth.

The great joke perpetrated on us about ALL this dumped waste separated into paper, metal, plastic and glass is being RECYCLED is about to be blown apart.

The reality is that only a small percentage of this "sorted" garbage  has ever reached its intended destination and that was across the boundary on the Mainland.
Next year there will be a complete ban on China accepting this unhygienic and stinking junk.

So now what? 

Back to square one !

Please take the bins away now except for perhaps the glass bins if there is proof that  the local recycler is  truly processing the glass in Hong Kong

The aluminum cans in the general refuse will take care of themselves. The little old lady with the doubled-over back will continue to find these so long as there is a few cents to be made on each can.

Don't misunderstand me. I favour recycling but no significant solution to the mountains of waste dumped into landfills (or soon to be incinerated in a massive new air-pollution and carbon-spewing plant near Shek Kwu Chau) will be achieved by the current lackadaisical approach to recycling  by our government. There has to be  a big STICK (not just wishy-washy "incentives".....  We need  Government-financed recycling plants, fines on those who do not recycle PROPERLY. Fines on manufacturers and suppliers who import and sell over-packaged produce. And force the suppliers to take back their own packaging.
Angry

And if I am wrong about much of the sorted waste from the recycle bins going to the landfills ....... PROVE IT !
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017 at 5:16am by SayNoToPrivateCars »  

IP Logged

Nan

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Re: The End of Recycling
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Recycling is more of an economic problem, which has a certain threshold of scale. I think Hong Kong as a city is just too small to support recycling plants, unless most of the population here are willing to pay for it, which i doubt.

IP Logged

6ix

Forum for DB residents

Re: The End of Recycling
Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 3:04am
Print Post  
SayNoToPrivateCars wrote on Sep 8th, 2017 at 2:57am:

Please take the bins away now except for perhaps the glass bins if there is proof that  the local recycler is  truly processing the glass in Hong Kong

The aluminum cans in the general refuse will take care of themselves. The little old lady with the doubled-over back will continue to find these so long as there is a few cents to be made on each can.

[size=14][color=#cc0000]And if I am wrong about much of the sorted waste from the recycle bins going to the landfills ....... PROVE IT !

Actually HK doesn't have a plant to recycling glasses. Part of the received bottles would be exported to places like Mainland China, Taiwan etc. while the majority rest would be dumped to the landfill. Quoting from a glass recycling advocator and business owner, the volume of glass being dumped to the landfill everyday equals that of some twenty double decker buses.

The glass recycling industry is in a status of frustration out of the ignorance, bureaucracy, and discouragement from the Government.

Personally I still tend to go with the colour bins game. What we need to do is to change their attitude and eradicate the recycling scam, instead of giving them the excuses to retreat from doing the least due to "not supported by the civilians".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint