Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Internet: Moving to Caperidge. Options? (Read 15391 times)
Rayzilla

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Internet: Moving to Caperidge. Options?
Jul 4th, 2017 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Hello all,

We will be moving to DB on July 20th. Currently in Quarry Bay using HKBN. But according to HKBN's location services finder on their website, they do not have service at Caperidge, where we are moving to.

What are the best options for Internet on DB and specifically, Caperidge?

Thanks.

IP Logged

TheDogzBollox

Forum for DB residents

Re: Internet: Moving to Caperidge. Options?
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 5:51am
Print Post  
I live in Crestmont (far end of Caperidge Drive) and both HKBN and Netvigator are available here - in theory!  In practice, even if the cable is laid they may have run out of "slots" at the exchange....

IP Logged

seoul588

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 7:09am
Print Post  
HKBN is HK Broadband?

We use HK Broad Bank in Caperidge.  Originally PCCW refused to give us the fast cable offering (I guess it was fiber optics) as we were told our building didn't have it installed.  We then moved over to HK Broadband who said the same thing, but they sent a guy to install it.  We were really impressed with the guy and their general service.  We use it for internet/cable/phone.  I think we got the 1,000 speed option, but were routinely getting 25-30.  I ran a test a speed test on the 17th for whatever reason and the results were 115.94 download, 183.52 upload. 

If HKBN isn't HK Broadband, I would go with them.  Avoid PCCW at all costs.

IP Logged

TheDogzBollox

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 9:36am
Print Post  
For comparison we have both HKBN and Netvigator (1GB fibre)...I consistently get 600-700mb down and 700-800mb up on both connections.

I did find that changing routers made a huge difference - on my old router I only managed 200-300mb.

IP Logged

Rayzilla

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
seoul588 wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 7:09am:
HKBN is HK Broadband?

We use HK Broad Bank in Caperidge.  Originally PCCW refused to give us the fast cable offering (I guess it was fiber optics) as we were told our building didn't have it installed.  We then moved over to HK Broadband who said the same thing, but they sent a guy to install it.  We were really impressed with the guy and their general service.  We use it for internet/cable/phone.  I think we got the 1,000 speed option, but were routinely getting 25-30.  I ran a test a speed test on the 17th for whatever reason and the results were 115.94 download, 183.52 upload. 

Yes, HKBN is Hong Kong Broadband. We are using them now and we're quite happy too. Their website says that they do not provide to our address when I type it in but like others have suggested, I should go to their shop to confirm this.

Based on your experience, it sounds like they also do installations. This is the first I heard of this so this is good to hear. There is hope....

IP Logged

Rayzilla

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
TheDogzBollox wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 9:36am:
For comparison we have both HKBN and Netvigator (1GB fibre)...I consistently get 600-700mb down and 700-800mb up on both connections.

I did find that changing routers made a huge difference - on my old router I only managed 200-300mb.

Thanks for sharing your comparison results. Good to know that there is no noticeable difference. At least from your experience.

I agree about changing to a good router. I did that too. I upgraded to the ASUS RT-AC 68U. At the the time, I think it was the highest model until another one came out shortly after. At least the range improved.

IP Logged

Rayzilla

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Other than HKBN, does any other Internet provider have a shop in DB? I will be coming to DB this morning so please let me know if you are aware of any other or if you know that there are no other, that would be good to know too.

Thanks.

IP Logged

TheDogzBollox

Forum for DB residents

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 2:43am
Print Post  
I don't think PCCW have a shop in DB (happy to be corrected) but I think the guys at P-Solution (opposite Watson, upstairs in the Plaza) act as agents for PCCW?

IP Logged

Rayzilla

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Rayzilla wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
seoul588 wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 7:09am:
HKBN is HK Broadband?

Yes, HKBN is Hong Kong Broadband. We are using them now and we're quite happy too. Their website says that they do not provide to our address when I type it in but like others have suggested, I should go to their shop to confirm this.

Based on your experience, it sounds like they also do installations. This is the first I heard of this so this is good to hear. There is hope....

Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky. I spoke with the HKBN guy. He checked their computers to confirm what I already knew and said that they cannot provide us Internet service. I asked him a few times if he was sure there was nothing they could do. He just said they can't do it...

Which leads to today's conversation with PCCW coming up...

IP Logged

Rayzilla

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 3:52am
Print Post  
I just got off the phone with PCCW.

We had to sign onto a 24 month contract to get 10 months of the fee being waived.

So the fees will work out to something like this:
Base 24 x $495 = $11,880
Less 10 x $495 = $4,590
Net $11,880 - $4,950 = $6,930
Monthly Average = $6,426 / 24 = $288.75

According to PCCW, fiber optic is already available in our flat. This explains why the installation is waived but what I do not understand is that if this is the case, why can't HKBN provide the service since I thought that they use the same lines.

We have opted for the landline at $19/month. I know many people do not use it anymore but we still find it to be a worthwhile convenience for us.

The online offer of choosing among the three available things is not available to DB residences. He said that only maximum of three months waiver is offered where the online promotion applies. Can anyone confirm that?

I think that is all on my PCCW sign up.

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2017 at 7:42am
Print Post  
As you're signed up already, it's probably too late to mention that when either broadband company tells you your building has fibre, that doesn't actually mean the fibre runs all the way to your flat. Many of the buildings in DB have poor and sometimes obstructed ducting for cables and you won't know whether you can get fibre to your home until the technician actually tries to install it. If this happens, neither provider will be any help, and you'll have to get a builder in.

IP Logged

Rayzilla

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Otis The Tramp wrote on Jul 9th, 2017 at 7:42am:
As you're signed up already, it's probably too late to mention that when either broadband company tells you your building has fibre, that doesn't actually mean the fibre runs all the way to your flat. Many of the buildings in DB have poor and sometimes obstructed ducting for cables and you won't know whether you can get fibre to your home until the technician actually tries to install it. If this happens, neither provider will be any help, and you'll have to get a builder in.

This is good to know. Thanks.

So it is possible that I will not be able to get fibre service unless a builder installs it? So when you say "you'll have to get a builder in", does that mean that I have to pay for that? And how much does that usually run around?

IP Logged

Linda_B

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 3:59am
Print Post  
We are in Twilight and had the 1G broadband installed years ago.. but as non-techies didn't understand that our old router has been holding us back to 150mb.. even though PCCW (then) came and installed it.. the technicians of course either can't explain in English or won't bother.. and they're only contract workers anyway, underpaid..
So we were quoted for a new router (installed) by HKT guy yesterday - $2388.. that can handle 1000mb.. Does this seem excessively expensive or is that what Routers are these days?

IP Logged

TheDogzBollox

Forum for DB residents

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Personally I would never take whatever PCCW are pushing but, then again, I am a bit of a geek!  My latest (Linksys EA9500) I bought from Amazon US for US$349...and that would be considered pricey and perhaps OTT for a home router.

IP Logged

Nan

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 6:32am
Print Post  
This is far too expensive from PCCW.
You can simply buy a decent dual band router from any computer market in Wan Chai or Mong Kok, which will cost ~1000 HKD.

I got my Netgear R7000 1G router online from www.jd.com in China at the price of 899 RMB (~1000 HKD) to replace the old PCCW one, which works amazingly well, fast and no longer need to manually reboot every now and then.
But the same model cost ~1500 HKD in Hong Kong, which is still much cheaper than the one from PCCW. But you can pick other brands for sure.

Plus, you can use this website to check the price of all electronic products from different suppliers in Hong Kong:
http://www.price.com.hk/

Hope it helps.

Linda_B wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 3:59am:
We are in Twilight and had the 1G broadband installed years ago.. but as non-techies didn't understand that our old router has been holding us back to 150mb.. even though PCCW (then) came and installed it.. the technicians of course either can't explain in English or won't bother.. and they're only contract workers anyway, underpaid..
So we were quoted for a new router (installed) by HKT guy yesterday - $2388.. that can handle 1000mb.. Does this seem excessively expensive or is that what Routers are these days?

IP Logged

TheDogzBollox

Forum for DB residents

Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Nan - fair call but just fyi, it was an R7000 that I replaced with my EA9500 and immediately saw a two to three times increase in throughput.  You get what you pay for I guess...

IP Logged

Rayzilla

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #16 - Jul 14th, 2017 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Linda_B wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 3:59am:

That does sound overpriced to me. For that price, you can start getting into the Mesh technology if you are living in a duplex or something quite big. Just don't buy anything yet and try your existing router first and then go from there. That is what I am going to do.

IP Logged

Nan

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #17 - Jul 24th, 2017 at 6:48am
Print Post  
ah that's good to know. But so far my R7000 keeps 300M-800M/s for the past 1.5 years, which is more than enough. Maybe i will try EA9500 after R7000's retirement. Cheesy

However, guess PCCW will not provide a same level router, although they charge 2K+$ for it. Quite curious which brand/model they actually sell.

TheDogzBollox wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 6:52am:
Nan - fair call but just fyi, it was an R7000 that I replaced with my EA9500 and immediately saw a two to three times increase in throughput.  You get what you pay for I guess...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint