Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) DB Octopus Card (Read 22998 times)
CBLane

Looking Looking Looking

DB Octopus Card
Jul 3rd, 2017 at 4:37am
Print Post  
Received the flyer about registering for the DB Octopus Card.  What do you think that's all about?  The management company being able to keep track on what we are spending or money on and where we are going?

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Re: DB Octopus Card
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:06am
Print Post  
It has all sorts of Big Brother implications. They have our names, addresses, household data and phone numbers already and linking to octopus just allows expansion of surveillance, control and targeting as data can be sold or given to marketing organisations of which HKR gets a cut on everything.

They ask us to sign up before even announcing what goodies are on offer.

I could get a spare octopus just to register here.

IP Logged

the incredible bulk

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:06am
Print Post  
This is HKR we're talking about - the discounts and offers will be rubbish.

IP Logged

UpHigh
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:36am
Print Post  
And they could stop you claiming anything free that they offer to the outside world to get people in.

For example, you might not be able to claim free ferry rides after eating at DDeck.

IP Logged

Andy Wong

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 11:55am
Print Post  
I don't like the idea. And I don't think in the end DB resident will get any benefit at all. If really needed, I'd get a separate octopus card too.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 12:34am
Print Post  
If they outfit the entrance to the buildings with an Octopus touch pad to enter just like the estates in Tung Chung, this project will be popular.

IP Logged

UpHigh
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 1:03am
Print Post  
JojoS wrote on Jul 4th, 2017 at 12:34am:
If they outfit the entrance to the buildings with an Octopus touch pad to enter just like the estates in Tung Chung, this project will be popular. 

A very expensive setup to use Octopus, Tung Chung is a different case as its managed by the MTR so I bet they got it cheap.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #7 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 3:00am
Print Post  
The way the flyer talks about it, ie-the limited numbers allowed per unit and cost of replacement etc etc...we are going to want these.

My guess is that the bus prices will be going up and you will need the resident octopus cards to maybe get the current price/lower price.

I can see that they are moving DB towards it's original design of being a holiday resort and this will probably be used to give 'resident rates' as a differentiator to keep us sweet.

It's all guess work, but think discounts for the ice rink etc etc  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #8 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 3:02am
Print Post  
UpHigh wrote on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:36am:
And they could stop you claiming anything free that they offer to the outside world to get people in.

For example, you might not be able to claim free ferry rides after eating at DDeck.

Naah, just have two octopus cards then...

IP Logged

UpHigh
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #9 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 4:49am
Print Post  
HK1980 wrote on Jul 4th, 2017 at 3:02am:
UpHigh wrote on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 7:36am:

Naah, just have two octopus cards then...

I carry enough cards as it is, dont need to start doubling up.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #10 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 9:11am
Print Post  
That or pay for your ferry, in this hypothetical situation.

Frankly, Im more worried about DB becoming a theme park.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #11 - Jul 4th, 2017 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
My guess is:

1. Transport - resident and visitors - difference in price (like Park Island)
2. Building Entry - rather than currently using code

Both projects (installation) are likely to increase HKR profits

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #12 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:39am
Print Post  
Will this be a new personalized card or just an additional registration to be coded into my existing Octopus card that will recognize the user as a DB resident?

IP Logged

Andy Wong

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:42am
Print Post  
JojoS wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:39am:
Will this be a new personalized card or just an additional registration to be coded into my existing Octopus card that will recognize the user as a DB resident?

The application form requires you to give them your existing card no only.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #14 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 4:25am
Print Post  
Andy Wong wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:42am:
JojoS wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 3:39am:

The application form requires you to give them your existing card no only.

If your existing Octopus card account is registered with AAVS, will you feel safe giving them your card number?

IP Logged

Andy Wong

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 6:43am
Print Post  
JojoS wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 4:25am:
If your existing Octopus card account is registered with AAVS, will you feel safe giving them your card number?

My card is indeed with AAVS. Like I said earlier, I would give them a separate card no, not because of AAVS, but for privacy reason.

IP Logged

6ix

Forum for DB residents

Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I guess HKR is thinking to tap into the big data thing through hooking up our Octopus Cards. Like it or not, you can't escape. Using a separate card is just not practical, imagine you may to bring 2 wallets and take either one out for the bus etc. Putting 2 together may confuse the card reader and making a hassle every time you use them.

IP Logged

LovingDB

Forum for DB residents

Reply #17 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:30am
Print Post  
I understand the worry behind passing information to HKR, but offering specific discounts to residents such as 20% off the bus and ferry doesn't seem like the worst thing. I already get targeted from marketing calls - there isn't a way to stop that in HK - so taking that away from the argument, what would the big deal be in registering for this Octopus? I'm looking for a legitimate reason why I shouldn't take advantage of the benefits.

IP Logged

UpHigh
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #18 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 3:00am
Print Post  
Andy Wong wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 6:43am:
JojoS wrote on Jul 5th, 2017 at 4:25am:

My card is indeed with AAVS. Like I said earlier, I would give them a separate card no, not because of AAVS, but for privacy reason.

Why are you worried about the AAVS, its only Octopus and your bank that would know the details.

IP Logged

CBLane

Looking Looking Looking

Reply #19 - Sep 17th, 2017 at 7:54am
Print Post  
Do you get a new octopus card or can you just register your existing one?

IP Logged

chair

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 12:15am
Print Post  
You register your existing one and later get a sticker stuck on it that says 'Discovery Bay'.

IP Logged

the incredible bulk

Forum for DB residents

Reply #21 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 1:06am
Print Post  
LovingDB wrote on Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:30am:
I understand the worry behind passing information to HKR, but offering specific discounts to residents such as 20% off the bus and ferry doesn't seem like the worst thing. I already get targeted from marketing calls - there isn't a way to stop that in HK - so taking that away from the argument, what would the big deal be in registering for this Octopus? I'm looking for a legitimate reason why I shouldn't take advantage of the benefits.

Depends on how much you trust them really.  One reason I'm sceptical is that the ferry discount (the only one really worth having imo) is no different than the current T-card price.

Despite HKR advertising that it is cheaper it works out exactly the same as the cost of package A so there is no saving.

IP Logged

UpHigh
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 5:32am
Print Post  
the incredible bulk wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 1:06am:

Depends on how much you trust them really.  One reason I'm sceptical is that the ferry discount (the only one really worth having imo) is no different than the current T-card price.

Despite HKR advertising that it is cheaper it works out exactly the same as the cost of package A so there is no saving. 

I think the bigger advantage will be to HKR, once they have a big enough take up of the Octopus card usage, the will drop the T-Card which will save them money in running costs and maintenance etc.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #23 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 6:24am
Print Post  
UpHigh wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 5:32am:
the incredible bulk wrote on Sep 19th, 2017 at 1:06am:

I think the bigger advantage will be to HKR, once they have a big enough take up of the Octopus card usage, the will drop the T-Card which will save them money in running costs and maintenance etc.

HKR like all businesses do not do anything for charity unless they design a project charity even then there is often cost recovery in placed.

IP Logged

Uncleboy

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #24 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 7:14am
Print Post  
I realised that the DB octopus card does not provide discounts for buses to Sunny Bay and Tung Chung so is not really useful. Looks like only those taking the ferry will benefit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint