Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Ice skating rink in DB Plaza? (Read 22521 times)
garmato
God Member

Ice skating rink in DB Plaza?
May 16th, 2017 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Otis shared submission to Lands Department titled Proposed Discovery Bay Master Plan 7.0E (Revision Date: 1 Feb 2017)

http://www.discoverybayforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2611/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1494693211#8

So looks like there might be a big ice skating rink (1,979 sqm) built in DB Plaza to replace the existing bus terminus, which itself will be moved to an upper level above.

I'm disappointed. Why don't they put the ice skating rink up at the new development near the reservoir? The space could be better used for other things: more shops, bazaar, flea market, food court, wet market, dog friend area, library, etc...

Back in 2014, supposedly the old golf parking lot was to be used for an ice skating rink.

IP Logged

Xxxx

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Re: Ice skating rink in DB Plaza?
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Great, would also like an indoor skiing, a bobsleigh slop, and an Olympic swimming pool at the plaza. Future seems wonderful for db.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2017 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Xxxx wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 10:11pm:
Great, would also like an indoor skiing, a bobsleigh slop, and an Olympic swimming pool at the plaza. Future seems wonderful for db.

Not too far fetched if you change it to summer sporting activities.

Here is a proposal from HKR, I think the date was April 1, 2016 and NO, it wasn't an April Fool's joke. It was submitted to the government for consideration concerning the East Lantau Metropolis. HKR which is now developing DB towards leisure/tourism destination and I guess wants to seize the opportunity to make DB into a top Lantau destination for tourists.

I also do expect DB will cease to be a car-free area. It was identified as a major weakness by a consultancy on developing Lantau. So I think taxis will later on have full access inside DB and perhaps also private vehicles.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #3 - May 31st, 2017 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I can't see the Ice skating rink ever happening.

Much like the upper deck of a 747 originally being a cinema/bar/lounge...it eventually all became seats.

Sell the dream, delivery the reality.

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2017 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I hope you're right on this one HK1980. On the list of recreational facilities DB residents have been dreaming of for years, an ice skating rink probably comes fairly low. Maybe not as low as horse and cart rides or a small version of HMS Bounty, but pretty low.

IP Logged

Andy

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Any sort of activity to amuse the teenagers is great news! There should be a youth club too! Just go to the playground end of the beach in the morning and you see the remains of what some of our youth are up to (with nowhere else to go), or even meet them (they were still there at 5:30am this morning, bottles of wine and cans of beer in hand).

Private cars in DB I think will happen eventually, I'm afraid the days of DB being a vehicle-free resort are on their way out. At the very least taxis will be allowed to roam and maybe a multi-story car park at the North end.

Seriously, how can the golf cart hope to survive?

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
I agree with Andy.  The rink at Cityplaza is a cool place.  One of HKR's better ideas.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 2:39am
Print Post  
That's too bad. I still think the space could be better utilized other than an ice rink. Maybe DB can expect a bigger influx of tourists wanting to access the ice rinks and also there will be a big increase in accidents.

Ice rink related injuries:

Wrist fractures: many do not see a doctor which, if serious, can cause long-term damage.

Head injuries: can cause skull swelling, brain damage, death.

Ice skating injuries seen at Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, Hong Kong
http://www.hkmj.org/abstracts/v3n2/131.htm

Ice-skating is a popular sport in Hong Kong. Since the opening of our hospital, we have observed a special pattern of injury related to ice-skating. Individuals have had a wide range of injuries including fractures and deep tissue lacerations, many of which have needed operative intervention. Public awareness of the risks remains low.

43 patients admitted (youngest 4 yrs, oldest 58 yrs). 53% were 11-20 yrs old. 65% were inexperienced skaters.

Injuries: 83.8% lower limb fractures; tendon, deep laceration, finger amputation. 18 operations performed.

Fractures
54% tibia/fibula (lower leg)
30% ankle
11% distal radius (wrist)
3% sacrum (hips)
3% triquetrum (wrist)

Most common injury slip or twist resulting in a fall; direct collision, laceration by skate blade from minor fall (I've had that happen to me), fall resulting from avoiding other skaters, fall from ill-fitting skates.

Greater chance of injuries during holidays when there are more skaters and the rink is more crowded.

Increase in injuries from ice skating in the UK
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/3533840/Casualty-units-braced-for-in...

23 year old died at an ice rink after hitting her head.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1123863/Young-woman-ice-skater-dies-frea...

IP Logged

Andy

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Potential injuries are not a good reason for not having a skating rink. If you do not want to get potentially injured, then don't get out of bed.

My emphasis was for building a facility for the youth in DB. Ice rink, roller skating, skate boarding, YOUTH CLUB, disco - something at least.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Is it confirmed that there is gov approval for the rink?

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

wastin' time...

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 10:59am
Print Post  
The ice skating rink is only one of a whole pile of things HKR is planning, including activity centre, climbing wall, skate park etc (See this document:
https://www.docdroid.net/kVXiGtp). If they don't go ahead with the skating rink, there'll be plenty of other legal activities for the bored youth of DB.

No idea whether the plans have been approved by the Lands Department & Islands District Office yet, but as HKR seems to be building everywhere, they're evidently confident that at least some of the plans will be.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Andy wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 8:24am:
Just go to the playground end of the beach in the morning and you see the remains of what some of our youth are up to (with nowhere else to go), or even meet them (they were still there at 5:30am this morning, bottles of wine and cans of beer in hand).

OK, this is interesting. How does an ice skating rink address the problem of "night owl" youths who have nothing to do into the morning hours? These youths are in a different group. They need a place that's open 24/7 which are usually night clubs or internet gaming cafes.

Otis, it should be pointed out all those activities will be in Area 2a near the reservoir and not DB Plaza for which only the ice skating rink is proposed. Since DB Plaza has such limited space, I wondered why they didn't consider building it in Area 2a. Maybe the reason for an ice rink is its very convenient for visitors to hop off the bus and access the ice rink directly below. They can market it year round (New Year's, Valentine's Day, Easter, Summer, Halloween, X'Mas), it can be used by schools for hockey teams, can be used to teach ice skating lessons, maybe introduce figure skating. And there can be a shuttle to Area 2a for further activities, I expect they may even market Area 2a as a place to host camping activities for students and company outings.

The ice rink is not a bad idea but at the same time it feels out of place to be located in DB Plaza. There's actually no shortage of activities for youths but they all cost money. Epic Land, DBRC/Club Siena (bowling, air hockey, swimming, gym, basketball, tennis, snooker, badminton, squash, badminton), sports clubs, NAAC/BMSE, lessons, martial arts, ballet, zumba, singing, arts and crafts, rock climbing, mountain hiking, rock pools, etc. They even have option to go to Tung Chung or Tsing Yi for shopping, eating, cinema...

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

wastin' time...

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:20pm
Print Post  
garmato wrote on Jun 2nd, 2017 at 1:23pm:
Maybe the reason for an ice rink is its very convenient for visitors to hop off the bus and access the ice rink directly below.

I'm sure that's the whole reason for it. There's not many ice rinks in Hong Kong, but where they do exist, Festival Walk, City Plaza... err... they serve a much larger local population and a major transport interchange to handle visitors. The DB rink would be too small for ice hockey, and I'd be surprised if the local population's big enough to support it.

HKR markets DB as a tourist destination, and I'm assuming that's the market they're looking at here, rather than local DB  teenagers.

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

wastin' time...

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
garmato wrote on Jun 2nd, 2017 at 1:23pm:
Andy wrote on Jun 1st, 2017 at 8:24am:
Just go to the playground end of the beach in the morning and you see the remains of what some of our youth are up to (with nowhere else to go), or even meet them (they were still there at 5:30am this morning, bottles of wine and cans of beer in hand).

OK, this is interesting. How does an ice skating rink address the problem of "night owl" youths who have nothing to do into the morning hours? These youths are in a different group. They need a place that's open 24/7 which are usually night clubs or internet gaming cafes.

I really don't know how HKR management's minds work, but perhaps they're hoping our teenage wine drinkers will all head up to the barbecue area near the reservoir instead of annoying people lucky enough to live by the beach?

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #14 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 1:39am
Print Post  
I believe all decisions are made with a profit in mind and any social benefits are secondary. It is how businesses function in many companies.

IP Logged

Paul A

Forum for DB residents

Reply #15 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 2:18am
Print Post  
I can't see how an Ice Rink in DB will be viable in the longer term unless it is promoted to bring the masses in to keep it going. The DB population will support it in the short term but it won't be free and people will soon reduce their attendance.  If we don't have the population for a cinema , how will we keep an Ice Rink going .

They will need to promote it heavily and we will have an influx of visitors at the weekend and we already complain about that.

If it is not sustainable, it turns into a white elephant . Disney Land is loosing money so how can DB support an Ice Rink with attracting the masses ?

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #16 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 1:51am
Print Post  
BBQ area near reservoir??

IP Logged

Rear Commodore
God Member

Back in retirement

Reply #17 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 8:20am
Print Post  

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 1:42am
Print Post  
Understand, but what is this about BBQ's?

IP Logged

Andy

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #19 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 3:34am
Print Post  
I repeat, anything that gives the youth something to do in DB should be welcomed - if it is an ice rink or a youth club, I really don't mind, just something more for the youngsters to engage in.

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

wastin' time...

Reply #20 - Jul 5th, 2017 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
HK1980 wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 1:42am:
Understand, but what is this about BBQ's?

HKR are considering all this stuff for the Proposed Multi-Recreation Center in Area 2a: an organic farm, food waste processing, adventure park, assembly halls, activity rooms, pets park, graffiti garden, skate park, workout area, BBQ and camping area, outdoor observation deck.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #21 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 1:48am
Print Post  
Oh okay, thanks Otis.

Is there a link to these proposals?

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

wastin' time...

Reply #22 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
HK1980 wrote on Jul 6th, 2017 at 1:48am:
Oh okay, thanks Otis.

Is there a link to these proposals?

As far as I know, HKR haven't shared the proposals with the community, only with the Lands Department and Islands District Office in February.

The document I shared is from them: https://www.docdroid.net/kVXiGtp/appendix-i-iii.pdf

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #23 - Jul 7th, 2017 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Much appreciated!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint