Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) DB woman falls for phone scam, loses $10.3 million (Read 19898 times)
garmato
God Member

DB woman falls for phone scam, loses $10.3 million
May 8th, 2017 at 9:46am
Print Post  
OK, so this is NOT the same woman but yet another DB housewife who fell for phone scam.

I previously posted about a 51 year old DB housewife who was scammed out of HK$8.2 million in November 2016.
http://www.discoverybayforum.com/cgi-bin/yabb2611/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1481343190

This time, a 42 year old DB housewife got scammed out of HK$10.3 million during the four-day Easter holiday of 2017. Ms. Lee reported the incident to police 12 days ago (April 26).

Despite the North Lantau Police Division putting up notices all around DB to warn residents about phone scams, this woman still fell for it.

The scammers pretended to be mainland police officer from Shanghai and informed the victim of committing a criminal offense. The victim was instructed to open a bank account across the border, to transfer money into it and give them the password so they can withdraw all the money.

This year 2017, there were 127 phone scam victims losing a total over HK$40 million. In March and April alone, over 160 reports of phone scams were reported to police, nearly three-fold increase from January to February.

In 2016 there were 656 reported phone scam cases and victims lost a combined HK$203 million. In 2015, there were 1,423 cases and total loss of $292 million.

No wonder phone scammers are so active, HKers are so stupid they have given away HALF A BILLION Hong Kong dollars in 2 years...

The biggest victim in Hong Kong is a 53-year old Yuen Long resident (Fairview) who was conned out of HK$58 million in October 2015. The next is 73-year old Li Yuanrong and her husband Wang Guotong (76), who were conned out of HK$22.8 million.

The typical phone scam involves a courier employee contacting the victim to inform them the parcel sent by them is in violation of mainland laws, then transferring the call to a partner pretending to be mainland police.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-crime/article/2090855/hong-kong-housewife...

IP Logged

Xxxx

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Re: DB woman falls for phone scam, loses $10.3 million
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2017 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I never know what to feel after reading those....
Seriously 10M to a mainland account over a phone call?!

IP Logged

Cordelia

Desire to Communicate

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2017 at 2:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
No wonder phone scammers are so active, HKers are so stupid they have given away HALF A BILLION Hong Kong dollars in 2 years...

I'm sorry but that's really, really uncharitable.

The world is becoming more complex everyday, I wouldn't want to laugh at others for lacking "common sense," there's so much to know, and so much new knowledge generated everyday, and so much disinformation everywhere, I constantly feel unprepared and overwhelmed.

People in certain cultures are more trusting and compliant than others, it's not about intelligence, it's a reflection of the kind of social environment you're used to.  I'm sure it's stressful for her to become target of predators to begin with, why do we heap blames on the victim as a community?  What happened to compassion and solidarity?

I've heard foreigners said that Chinese people are so soulless, they treat scamming as a national sport and brag about how many people they've fooled to each other as routine greetings.  I thought that's just xenophobia and prejudice on the Internet shared between people who've never been here.  It saddens me that right here in DB, in Hong Kong, we are laughing at people that are victimized by criminals and predators, as though we have accepted scamming and predatory behavior as national sport.  That's not the HK I (used to?) know.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2017 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Surely, you wouldn't fall for a scam unless you knew you'd done something meriting suspicion, would you?  Otherwise, you'd just say, "Get lost, I am as clean as a whistle."  Yet, victims seem ready to report the fraud to police anyway, which makes it all the more curious.

This is not intended to be mocking the victims, or to be uncharitable towards them, but just a purely practical question.

IP Logged

Cordelia

Desire to Communicate

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2017 at 2:23am
Print Post  
No, that's fine Ger, I'm curious about that too, asking these questions isn't victim blaming,(though all we can do is speculate.) Gleefully labelling them "so stupid" is what I find over the top.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2017 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Nobody is laughing at the victims but it is STUPIDITY (it sure wasn't SMART) to open a bank account in China, transfer huge sums of money, and hand over your password to someone you don't even know. It's only when they find out the funds were withdrawn that they contacted Hong Kong police.

This is nothing about Chinese culture being more trusting. Rather, I assume they are too scared of consequences. If the caller has their phone number, what if they know their address? But the thing is, if you have so much money, why don't you consult with family, friends, lawyer, police?

I know someone who was at the bank, put their money at the counter, got bumped into by someone, turned around, then looked down and saw all her money was gone in a split second.

I've even experienced it as a student. Nothing is safe. If you leave your belongings in the classroom for but 10 minutes, someone will have stolen it. You learn quickly to avoid becoming a victim. There are still too many people even in Hong Kong who let their guards way down. I sometimes warn non-Chinese to put their bags/backpacks in front so they don't get pickpocketed from behind. I've seen an Indian grandmother put her purse all the way behind her back when going down the MTR stairs, I told her to put the purse in front of her just to be safe. Why? I've had my money stolen that way on the train once, credit cards, IDs, cash. It made me lose trust in public surroundings.

I've received phone scam calls from people I don't know, some speaking Putonghua (with Cantonese accent!), I've reported their phone numbers to Hong Kong Police, warned City Management, and even called banks to give them the phone numbers to follow up with police.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2017 at 4:26am
Print Post  
I'm sure the phone scammers think HKers are super stupid. They've profited from half a billion HKD in two years alone. Isn't that a lucrative scam business?

In fact, if you search the news, you'll find many Chinese and Taiwanese arrested in the thousands not only in Asia but also in Africa running these scams.

The massive phone scam problem vexing China and Taiwan
(April 22, 2016, BBC)
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36108762

In comments released to state media, China's public security ministry said it believed the scammers were operating mostly out of South East Asia, Africa and the Pacific Islands. Besides the Kenya case, there were also recent arrests in Malaysia.

The officials claimed to have arrested 7,700 telecoms fraud suspects, of which about 4,600 are Taiwanese, in South East Asia in the past seven years - since they signed a formal agreement with Taiwan to jointly tackle crime.

Many of the other suspects are said to be Chinese.

In Pictures: Rough homecoming for hundreds of Chinese phone scammers based in SE Asia
(November 11, 2015, Hong Kong Free Press)
https://www.hongkongfp.com/2015/11/11/in-pictures-rough-homecoming-for-hundreds-...

The suspects, which also included Taiwanese citizens, are believed to be responsible for 3,000 fraud schemes in Hong Kong and 20 mainland provinces.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2017 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Surprised that so many people keep ready cash lying around for instant transfers. If the funds are mostly out of reach, then the time in between would allow people to reflect, check out the cons, come to their senses and take appropriate action.

I don't think anyone feels good over scams and crimes especially in our own neighbourhood.

Possibly, many lost money easily to scammers due to some guilt or having been involved in something unsavoury in the first place because if one has done nothing wrong why be afraid?

I agree it is so stupid to be so penny wise and so pound foolish, Hong Kong people are known for haggling over peanuts and going for silly deals to save cents.... but it is their money after all and their right to feel like they are laughing all the way to the bank. One can laugh too and hopefully still be allowed to call a spade a spade, gleefully or not.

My bad obviously one cannot victimise the victims Roll Eyes but I wonder if the authorities will ask where those huge sums come from to be able to send away and if some are obtained by less than legal means. After all laundry and housewives .... Cheesy

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2017 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Better article explaining why the scam is so effective:

Online and Telephone Fraud Surges in Mainland China and Hong Kong, Officials Say
(August 18, 2015, The New York Times)
https://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/08/18/online-and-telephone-fraud-surge
s-in-mainland-china-and-hong-kong-officials-say/?_r=0

The woman and her associates seemed to know so much about her: Her full name. Her hukou details. Her phone number. Her date and place of birth.

And they were intimidating, issuing instructions in a way that many Chinese, believing they are dealing with the police and reluctant to challenge their authority, might find difficult to resist: Turn on your computer. Don’t call anyone. Don’t answer the door. This is top secret.

In the case of Ms. Chen, the callers told her to go to a website that they said belonged to China’s top prosecutor. It was a forgery, though its address was similar to the real one.

She followed a link on the site, as they ordered, and discovered what appeared to be a warrant for her arrest that included hard-to-get personal details.

In what seems to be a common chain of events, the fraudsters told Ms. Chen that she could “prove” that the money in her bank account was not from illicit funds if she transferred the money to them for examination. She was in serious trouble, they said, and this was the only way she could clear her name.

Ms. Chen said the police had advised victims not to demand that a case be opened. In China, asking for the police to open a criminal investigation is noted in a person’s “dang’an,” the personal file held by the authorities that accompanies an individual through life.

“The police told the girl next to me at the station, ‘You don’t want that in your file, do you?’ ” Ms. Chen recounted. “They said, ‘It’s so hard to find a job these days.’ ”

The implication was that the file would indicate a lack of intelligence, that one is easily duped or a troublemaker, and that no one would want to hire a person like that.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2017 at 5:10am
Print Post  
With all that people share on social media and ease of hacking, are we surprised that so much information falls into the hands of criminals?

I got a call the day before on my private line, from someone claiming to be from a realty, the opening line was: Do you wish to sell your property? I was enraged that they had the audacity to call me and had gotten hold of my number. My policy is never respond to cold callers however good the offer and so it could have been the start of a scam but I will never know.

Let us get used to it - DB will continue to be in the news given its rising mainland connections and my flat too is getting noisier by the day due to the surrounding mainland connections.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2017 at 5:39am
Print Post  
I wonder how these scammers operate. I've noticed there are special dialler programs used on Whatsapp to mass text incremental phone numbers to discover active numbers. From that I assume they try to weed out possible targets.

I can usually guess which incoming numbers are unsolicited. If I don't recognize a number, I will not answer it. Then I'll look up the number on https://hkjunkcall.com to confirm if it is indeed an unwanted caller. For the most part they are.

And yes, Coopergoose, internet makes info easily available. China has an extreme abuse of it called "human flesh search engine" where they can hunt down a person through social media. Everyone should take the time to read/learn about privacy settings in their accounts (be it email, Facebook, etc). And use a strong password. I actually know someone who had used "hongkong" as their password. Not surprising they got hacked.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2017 at 6:30am
Print Post  
99% of cold callers go away when you answer in English.

Do not answer if the caller id is unknown.

Do not participate or post personal details on social media.

Never trust anything out of China unless you know who you are dealing with. It used to be Nigerian scams and emails were deleted without a second thought.

If you bite the bait they set for you, you only have your(gullible)self to blame. Plenty of stories of sweetheart scams.

HK should strengthen its cold calling laws but a determined scammer will find ways to reach you and then it is up to you to have an exit strategy in place.

PS: Put your cash out of reach except for immediate use - each cash withdrawal sends an SMS to holders of accounts so have someone else share accounts. Make it impossible for a potentially weakened you to fall victim to scams.

IP Logged

Cordelia

Desire to Communicate

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2017 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Seems strange to me that you would want to focus so much on what's wrong with the victim when someone is victimized.  It doesn't matter how much "evidence" you can come up with to "prove" that the victims are "stupid," When an individual is harmed in our community and we get together to publicly discuss what's wrong with the victim, it is uncharitable. 

Oh look!  Someone fell into a well, let's throw stones at her!

I get those phone calls all the time as well, it's bad enough that we get targeted and harrassed in our own home, there's no need to make it worse by being sadistic about people who fall victim to it.

I don't think Chinese in general are more trusting, I think people in a low crime environment such as Hong Kong are less paranoid and suspicious, many of these scams are cross-border crimes made possible by changing technologies, not everybody is equiped to adapt to these fast pace changes.  No need to be sadistic about it.

IP Logged

hongkongpauli

Forum for DB residents

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2017 at 12:44am
Print Post  
I had a call supposedly from HSBC a few weeks ago, they asked me to verify my credit card details, my response was you have the information you tell me, and I will tell you if it is correct.....they ended the call.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #14 - May 10th, 2017 at 1:43am
Print Post  
you cannot prevent stealing of your data in 100% cases. Once I received a letter as though " from the government" . All my personal data was in the letter head, but the text looked like a photocopy and there was a paid stamp on the envelope ( normally such government departments do not pay post fee). After a short investigation together with the building management we found out that one neighbor just took a bank notice from my mail box and got access to my full name and some other details, sent a letter to me looking like it was from the government. There were cameras and securities in the block, but it did not help!

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #15 - May 10th, 2017 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Coppergoose, very good advice. Smiley

hongkongpauli, the balls on that one!

fish22, did your mailbox have a working lock? I'd hate to think someone had that much time on their hands to forge a government letter and send it by post, that's super creepy.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #16 - May 10th, 2017 at 3:44am
Print Post  
garmato wrote on May 10th, 2017 at 3:31am:
Coppergoose, very good advice. Smiley

hongkongpauli, the balls on that one!

fish22, did your mailbox have a working lock? I'd hate to think someone had that much time on their hands to forge a government letter and send it by post, that's super creepy.

Sure it had, but  anyway she took the letter in some way ( opened the mailbox with smth may be or just used some stick or hook- I can just guess) .  After that case I transferred most of the bills to e-messages. Much more safe , especially when you use your home address as correspondent address for your business accounts. Now I am thinking my company secretary sometimes sends me business documents by post and all my personal data may be there ( like in AR e.g.) . In this case I am thinking better to pay extra 5-7 $ and the postman will deliver the docs right to your door.

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #17 - May 10th, 2017 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
In this case I am thinking better to pay extra 5-7 $ and the postman will deliver the docs right to your door.

Wow fish22 never heard of this, how does one organise this?

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #18 - May 11th, 2017 at 1:17am
Print Post  
twinkleberry wrote on May 10th, 2017 at 3:23pm:
Wow fish22 never heard of this, how does one organise this?

Should be smth like " letter with notification", a sender should go to the post and arrange it. then they will deliver to you and you will sign a receipt card. If you are not at home they will drop a notice to your mailbox, then you may pick your letter in the post office. Price will depend on  an area and weight, if I am not mistaken.
As for the bills they send them to me by e-mail or msg, banks send bank splits only that do not contain your account number and statements, so what I can find now in my mail box is just a gas bill and real estate agencies leaflets. Boring? Yes!))) but safe

IP Logged

chair

Reply #19 - May 11th, 2017 at 2:25am
Print Post  
You can also ask the gas company to scan your bill and email it to you Smiley

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #20 - May 11th, 2017 at 4:06am
Print Post  
chair wrote on May 11th, 2017 at 2:25am:
You can also ask the gas company to scan your bill and email it to you Smiley

Will San Hing do it?

IP Logged

chair

Reply #21 - May 11th, 2017 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Yes, I mean them.

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #22 - May 12th, 2017 at 12:42am
Print Post  
thanks for all that info

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #23 - May 12th, 2017 at 2:04am
Print Post  
Yes, thank you.

I wish the real estate agencies can learn to respect No Junk Mail on letterboxes and those residents who want flyers can opt for e options directly with them.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #24 - May 14th, 2017 at 12:29am
Print Post  
))) let the real estate agencies drop the leaflets, they do not bother me at all. I can see the price tendency and can use leaflets for BBQ fire starter later)))

IP Logged

Goldielocks

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #25 - May 15th, 2017 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Can someone please let me know how this topic can go from a woman who falls for a phone scam, loses $10.3 millions (who has that kind of money to be able to pay scammers anyway?!) to a complaint about leaflets from real estate companies!  Cheesy

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #26 - May 15th, 2017 at 5:03am
Print Post  
Easy Goldilocks Cheesy

Criminals pretend to be someone they are not to access individuals by whatever means.

People let their guard down for whatever reason and get scammed.

Our govt and our mgt office (paid by us) do not do enough to protect our privacy, give away access codes, allow strangers into our buildings who can put flyers of whatever kind, approach us at our front doors and pretend to be someone else especially those in positions of authority or in uniform. Cold callers get our numbers from institutions like banks and service companies which protect their right to market using our contact info.

I got a letter from the govt saying the Elections Bureau office computer lost data and I could be one of those affected (although they do not think likely).

They are making it easy for the criminals.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #27 - May 17th, 2017 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Oh, dear...

May 9th (Tuesday), Mr. Lo, age 54, DB resident, also fell for the same phone scam and reported to HK police after 1.36 million RMB was withdrawn from his account.

http://www.atimes.com/article/two-men-woman-duped-phone-scammers/

Also, seems like first victim is not HKer but a new immigrant (possibly from Shanghai), name Ms. Li. And the phone call was April 14 (Friday).

https://topick.hket.com/article/假公安電話騙案再現%20%20%2042歲女子被騙千萬元

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint