Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) HSBC Personal Accounts Targeted (Read 12728 times)
HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

HSBC Personal Accounts Targeted
Apr 13th, 2017 at 5:22am
Print Post  
Beware all personal account holders of HSBC HK. They are now targeting personal accounts and selecting them randomly, so HSBC themselves have told me. This means all HSBC account holders are vulnerable to being dragged through a nightmare procedure with no avenue for recourse. This is currently happening to me, one other person I know personally and another who I do not know but have heard about, all permanent residents of HK. In short, without notice they will suspend your ATM facility, suspend all online banking services, suspend online Securities trading (you can sell shares using Phonebanking (a useless service as they take 5-10 mins to seek authorisation for every trade) but prohibit the buying of any shares), and any transaction you want to process has to be performed in a branch which requires the front line bank staff to make calls to seek authorisation for every transaction, even if you just want to transfer funds between your own accounts.
I was told by my Personal Relationship Manager (PRM) that it would last a few days, maybe a week, it's been 5 weeks now. Shouldn't be surprised that HSBC lies to their customers , with their global shenanigans  it appears to be part of the company culture.  Let me be clear though, it's no fault of my PRM who has tried to get more info and failed, it's the bunch of cowards who hide  behind their desks and let the front line staff take the flack for their incompetence. The only recourse is to write to customer service and if any of you have ever tried dealing with HSBC customer service I feel for you, they have now eclipsed PCCW as the most useless CS division within the territory. I have tried through multiple channels to be given a reason and an estimated timeframe but have had the door slammed in my face every time. Even if I could be told that historically  it lasts for approx 4-6 weeks that would help but they repeatedly refuse to provide any useful information. The only answer I can get from them is along the lines o

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Re: HSBC Personal Accounts Targeted
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Cont...The only answer I can get from them is along the lines of 'it is a business decision, refer to the T&C's'. No attempt at all by CS to address the consequences that the bank's internal procedures create for their banking customers.
I have been banking with them for 23 years and I believe have been a model customer. Do not think that being a loyal customer or having a large amount of funds/mortgage or anything else with them will make a difference, they will treat you with nothing but disdain and contempt. They told me that they know their customers are very angry and inconvenienced but that's just the way it is....can you believe that!! An absolute disgrace and a great example of how a large corporate has managed to crawl so far up its own arse it has lost sight of the customer experience.
If anybody else is currently or has previously experienced this please do share your experiences. HSBC won't provide any information so it would be great if we could provide to each other.  I am happy to share more info on my experiences with anyone that is going through this if you think it will help you or indeed with anyone that has a wider platform on which to inform the public. What they are doing is simply wrong but they are not being held to account and I for one do not know how to hold them to account when they really couldn't care a less about the individual voices of their customers.
As for me, well 5 weeks with no end in sight and a stress level through the roof leaves no option but to transfer funds out and close my account after 23 years of being a loyal customer. As a tiny protest I have also  cancelled my various insurance policies with AXA due to their affiliation with these jokers. Unlike HSBC, I took the time to write to AXA and inform them of my decision and reasons.

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 5:27am
Print Post  
Cont.. I wish I had heeded the advice of the many friends, businesses and forum posts over the last 2 years and got the hell out of HSBC but I guess until it happens to you, and it will, then you don't realise that HSBC has such a blatant disregard for its customers and a corporate culture that prioritises a tick in the box over people and communication. I implore all of you with an HSBC account to get out now but if not then at the very least share your experiences with as many  people as possible when your turn comes.
Anyone with any ideas of how to hold HSBC accountable and hit them where it hurts please share, I have no idea what can be done except to boot them into touch and draw a red line through the whole nightmare of an experience.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2017 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
I find it strange, almost unbelievable that a huge bank like HSBC would do such a thing to their customer. There must be a reason, explanation or mistake on their part.

I understand there is paranoid within HSBC and anything that borders on suspicion, the bank is willing to terminate their relationship with the particular customer.

Bottom line is there must be a reason and I am guessing that either you choose to be ignorant of, bank not willing to disclose their reasons upfront in fear of embarrassing you, are you of a certain nationality or just a mistake on the part of the bank.

I do understand banks sometime refuse to all a person to have a bank account with them but almost never heard of similar cases like yours.

In short, the bank don't owe you anything and similarly you don't owe the bank anything too. So go to another bank who value your business.

There are plenty of banks around.

Good luck. Sorry to hear about your frustrations. It would be good to hear from you the reasons why you were treated this way.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 12:39am
Print Post  
It may be part of global hsbc due diligence required by the US govt related to money laundering charges. HK is a known conduit and individual accounts may be scrutinised or held in limbo to accommodate other network or chained investigation if suspicious transactions are flagged via their computer algorithms.

Premier customers with global accounts and transactions in certain countries or individuals fitting profiles may be more vulnerable. Innocent persons will inevitably be caught up in such sweeps. Inconvenient but necessary for them to continue operating. I recently discovered new rules in place, the reason given was as explained above.

Makes sense? Cheesy
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2017 at 5:41am by CG »  

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 9:18am
Print Post  
@BH and @Coppergoose - Thank you very much for your responses and insight, much appreciated.
I know it is not nationality, I've previously completed all questionnaires etc required of me and as far as I know I have  complied with all banking regulations. This is the first I had heard of personal accounts being affected and I too am very surprised.
HSBC did tell me that personal account holders are being selected randomly but not why so I suspect you are right @coppergoose that it is part of the AML/KYC compliance that the US is instigating. Worrying that it can and will happen to many other HSBC a/c holders. I understand that these things do happen just very surprised that HSBC put no value on letting their customers know any information, they are perfectly content to lose customers - an odd business strategy! I would be happy now just to know a ballpark of how long the process may last but even that is too much hassle for HSBC to share.

I'm definitely switching banks and good riddance to HSBC but I will certainly share any more information on this thread should I ever find out what it was all about or at least have a timeframe.
Thanks again to you both

IP Logged

BigO

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Not directly related, but when opening a business account one of the standard questions is: "show us you are in business". My usual answer is to ask how I can be in business without a bank account which I am here to open? Draws a blank across the desk, of course.
I wonder if the other banks really are any better?

IP Logged

CBLane

Looking Looking Looking

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2017 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I am shocked by the experience of the OP. I can only think that this has been triggered by some 'bad' data (either correct or incorrect) that has set alarm bells ringing and initiated this action by HSBC. With the amount of data that financial institutions now need to collect on their clients it is probable that at times incorrect data will be recorded. Probably behind the scenes there was a team at HSBC checking the data whilst the account was frozen and once things have been clarified or amended, the account would be put back to normal.  The guys behind the counter and in the branches will not know what is happening due to their lack of knowledge of new regulations and secrecy on the internal diligence process.
The requirement for extra data has come from the US's FATCA regulations however this will be increased with the introduction of Automobile Exchange of Information where countries will need to share financial data between themselves requiring banks etc to check on your status in lots of different countries.  This will get even greater when further global anti money laundering regulations are introduced in the future.
What we have to accept in this new digital age is that everything about us will get stored digitally and we need to forget our 'big brother government' fears. With the sheer size of this amount of data, there will be times when things go wrong.

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Agreed CBlane, just wish there could be at least a little bit of information for the affected customers. The total disregard to the customer experience unfortunately turns a bad situation into a terrible one. Also agree it's not the the fault of the branch staff.

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 12:14am
Print Post  
@BigO. I feel your pain. Not sure if other banks are better when it comes to business accounts. I don't want to sound like a complete HSBC basher but I have heard that HSBC are the worst culprit and are turning down the majority of start ups applications, even if you have all the documents/ evidence  required. Despite this they still accept applications and are happy to charge the poor applicants HKD1200 for the pleasure of being rejected. Not a very nice cost to inflict on a new business. They also refuse to give a reason which is doubly frustrating as at least it would allow the small business owner to know which areas need strengthening. I know some other banks at least don't charge. Good luck to you.

IP Logged

CBLane

Looking Looking Looking

Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2017 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Had the same experience with HSBC when trying to open a business account with them. They are just following a global decision to get out of SME banking due to the regulations I mentioned in my previous email. I finally opened an account with China CITIC who I would recommend to anyone.  Their opening process was quick, efficient and friendly. They made me feel like they wanted my business!

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 3:37am
Print Post  
After 6 weeks of battles I have finally been told that "the process" is expected to last an additional 2 months. Still no idea what the 'the process' is or why it was instigated but at least some feedback. So when this happens to other HSBC account holders you can expect to be prevented from using any personal banking services  (except in branch) for approx 3-4 months in total.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Thank you for your update HKKIT.

Do you have any idea whether they are targeting the account itself or the holder, who might have multiple accounts in HK or other countries?

Is yours a joint account or sole?
Are you allowed to move funds to another bank if you wanted to close this account or minimise your inconvenience?

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2017 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Was the online banking facility accessed by security device or double password? Were there a series of bank transfers of large or threshold amounts prior to the lock down?

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 5:57am
Print Post  
@Coppergoose & @Jojos - I have no idea if it is the account or the holder that is targeted . I have no overseas accounts and only one other in HK. HSBC was a joint account. Access by device and no large transactions/transfers at all prior to this happening, it came out the blue. If you go in branch the staff there need to call for authorisation and then you will be permitted to transfer funds out, which is what I have done. All electronic deposits to your account are rejected by default and you will need to get authorisation for each of them e.g.  if someone is paying you rent. Of course they don't tell you this either.  One other person I heard of that is going through this only has a HSBC a/c hence is up the creek when it comes to inconvenience , especially when overseas. Bear in mind HSBC did tell me that this is random and many account holders will go through this. If it happens to you, don't expect any information at all from them and save yourself the stress of dealing with their customer service dept. by making sure you have an alternate bank to use. Better still, get out now before you are inconvenienced.

IP Logged

sera

Welcome to Discovery Bay
Flea Market!

Reply #15 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 7:51am
Print Post  
oh wow this is too scary !  can the client choose to close the account right then and there or are we being held hostage by the bank?

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #16 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 1:41am
Print Post  
@sera , yes you can close the account so not held to hostage but you will need to change all direct debits/auto pays, transfer funds and securities etc....as well as have an alternate bank to use  Smiley

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 1:53am
Print Post  
Terrible ma fan!  I am sure many readers will be thankful to HKKIT for the warning and clear explanation so that we may at least be ready if it should happen to us.  Thanks so much HKKIT!

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #18 - Apr 26th, 2017 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
This is what happens when you axe 120 IT jobs in the face of compliance workload increase.

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #19 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your kind words @Ger and glad to hear the information is useful ...I hope you never need to use it !

IP Logged

HKKIT

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #20 - Apr 27th, 2017 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
@Coppergoose ...Axing productive jobs and a sickening disregard to the importance of the customer by the big cheeses seems to be the way many big corporates are acting these days.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint