Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Complaint to HKRI: Negligent Van Driver (Read 7298 times)
korapaine

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Complaint to HKRI: Negligent Van Driver
Mar 8th, 2017 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Although this post sounds dramatic, this November incident was quite traumatizing. It was late night, raining, extremely cold. My 11mth baby was sick with a 40 degrees fever. We just came back from the emergency room. As we had rushed to the hospital all she had was a small blanket. Per usual, the hotline told us there were no vans.

On the way to bus stop, we encountered this driver going to Hotel to pick up a passenger that called for pickup, although we had just told the hotline we were also at the hotel. We did end up in the Van but the Driver sped and verbally assaulted us the entire trip. I finally filed a complaint so this will not happen to another family. I share my partial complaint below

We asked him to take us back to the Hotel so we can ask to join in the Van, he refused..complained we in his way..We ran after van to Hotel..he refused to let us on even though passenger said it wasn’t a problem..The Driver argued with my husband, whom was sitting in the front seat. Both exchanged expletives but the Driver continuously shook one hand in front of my husband’s face like he wanted to physically assault him. He said he had the right to do that and he can point his fingers to the window and stick his hand in front of my husband’s face as much as he liked..I wanted to call the Police to report the Driver and Incident. I was encouraged not to report the Incident to the Police but to make a complaint to the Company. I was not allowed to record the licence plate, nor have the name of the Driver, nor the name of the manager I spoke with. The incident caused me to question the safety of the service..This Driver was clearly reckless, mentally unstable and unfit to drive..why we were NOT allowed to join in on a Van after its called..clearly states Van is communal priced at HK$20 or $30..exclusive cost to hire out van is HK$120..Why do vans always refuse to pick up additional passengers after its called to pickup someone who didn’t ask for exclusive ride.

IP Logged

hongkongpauli

Forum for DB residents

Re: Complaint to HKRI: Negligent Van Driver
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2017 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Just wondering why you have only posted this now, when it occurred in November.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
hongkongpauli, I think it's fine. Doesn't matter if OP posts it late. The point was to get something off their chest. Ideally it should just be kept between passenger and hire car company. This is airing dirty laundry.

This is only MY speculation but long ago there was no problem to flag down a hire car, no need to call hotline, no need for booking, and no problem to pick up passengers along the way. There was also private rides I suspect was not known by the company and only between driver and special passengers. These passengers would have the private cellphone number of the driver and call whenever they needed a ride. I suspect the drivers made extra money off the books.

The hire car company is now SUPER strict and does not allow any passengers to ride the hire car unless they book it via the hotline number. I think they are keeping tabs to make sure the money from each driver matches their records. It is quite stupid not to pick up passengers along the way, they lose money and are not making efficient use of time anymore.

So this is what happens now. Passengers call hotline, nobody answers. You keep calling like a madman, no answer, if you are lucky to get through for the 100th time, they ask if you are outside. Then you wait, 10 mins, 20 mins, no hire care. You got screwed over. And if you want a hire car in 10-15 mins, etc they want to charge you "advanced booking fee". The irony of it all is sometimes that's just how long it takes before the hire car turns up! Can we get a discount for the wait? Hah! The hire car service IS a joke.

For all that waste of time, the driver drives at dangerous speeds trying to make up for time to get to the next booked passenger. How exactly is it efficient to drive 1 passenger from A to B when you could pick up passengers along the way and fill up capacity? They are a monopoly so...

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2017 at 7:04am by garmato »  

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2017 at 3:11am
Print Post  
I think the flag n ride violated hire car agreement which is like the VIP service book n ride, to prevent a taxi or minibus service sneaking into DB in the guise of hire car, with drivers doing deals, working out specials with favoured clients treating it like their private cars, a scarce resource in a car free community.

People moving to DB often do not realise the restrictions of transportation here and try to have more options in the process changing the premise that made DB unique in concept.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2017 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Is it even possible for taxi or minibus to sneak in? Don't they all have to register at the toll booth? Also there are two charges. One is tunnel toll fee, the other is hourly duration. First hour is $100, every hour thereafter is $200. Nobody from outside can make a profit on that basis if they're thinking of operating a hire car service in DB.

It's more likely that hire car drivers were making money from private clients that the company was unaware of.

I'm even wondering if that's the reason they increased the fare to compensate for a less efficient carriage.

IP Logged

chair

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2017 at 1:27am
Print Post  
garmato, your post reads as if flag n ride no longer exists, it does. Not for cars booked by another passenger maybe but I see them being flagged down along my road, Greens, as always.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2017 at 5:40am
Print Post  
chair, I'm not saying it doesn't exist but that it's not allowed. I caught a hire car without booking once, the driver was reluctant but let us get in. Then he got scolded by control room for picking us up. They were arguing and control room reminded the driver he can't pick up passengers unless they have a booking.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint