Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) New bus timetable mixup? (Read 15553 times)
gwaijai11

Forum for DB residents

New bus timetable mixup?
Feb 27th, 2017 at 4:20am
Print Post  
Anyone having issues with the new bus arrangements?

Last night I had to get a visiting friend on the 10pm ferry from Parkvale. I checked the new route and timetable info, and it said we can get the 9.45pm T3 bus from Parkvale down the plaza footbridge. We got to the Parkvale bus stop outside Woodgreen Court at 9.40pm. I checked the bus stop info and it confirmed there was a bus due at 9.45pm. We waited. Finally, about 9.47pm the T3 bus arrives and its passengers alight. I figured "it's late", nothing unusual. The bus then does the usual three-point turn to stop at the bus stop. However, as we tried to board the driver said he wasn't leaving until 10.10pm. Confused, I pointed to the timetable at the bus stop, and showed him the timetable on the DB Transport app on my phone, and he was uninterested in looking at either. He initially tried to blame the mixup on me looking at the wrong table - "it's Sunday" he said. I said: "I know, and I'm looking at the Sunday timetable, and you're supposed to depart at 21.45". Again he showed no interest and ignored us. After several minutes of trying to plea our case, luckily, a hire car came by and we jumped in. My friend just barely made the 10pm ferry.

I looked around the plaza, the old bus terminus and the new terminus to find someone from DB Transport to clarify the situation with, and perhaps complain to, and there was no-one around.

Looking at the timetable more closely when I got home, I could see the bus was actually supposed the leave Capeland at 10.10pm, not Parkvale. I suspect the driver got this mixed up or was given the wrong briefing, or perhaps there's some sort of misprint in the timetables?

Anyone else had issues?

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Re: New bus timetable mixup?
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 5:13am
Print Post  
Yes. The #8 bus route used to employ friendly drivers and comfortable, modern electric buses. Now the route's been scrapped and replaced with the T9 to North Plaza, we now have a couple of grumpy drivers who turn up late in clapped-out old bangers with no suspension.

And don't get me started on the longer walk from the new bus stop or my third-party timetable apps being out of date - I can't really blame DB Transport for that.

IP Logged

ryuro

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Did anyone really believe this was going to be anything but a complete kerfuffle.  Will be interesting to see what happens when it's chucking down rain.

IP Logged

hongkongpauli

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 10:21am
Print Post  
We arrived in DB this evening at 17.35, we went up to the T4/T9 (no separation)bus stop,the T4 bus arrived at nearly 17.50, when it arrived it was almost full with the people coming from the direction of the marina, the line waiting for the bus was huge, when it left packed and unsafe, many people were left waiting for the next bus, the rain will be here soon, I can see uproar, it is a complete debacle, transport management were taking pictures, but not immediately trying to resolve the problem, one bus going from the marina direction through the greens is not enough, as this is primarily the busiest route.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
T4/T9 is the main bus route through DB and a more frequent service is required.

As for that bus stop, it might help a little bit if people approaching from the front walked to the rear of the queue [as they should] instead of huddling in a mass by the bus door waiting for what they perceive to be their turn, while in the meantime more have joined the end of the queue and everyone becomes crosser and crosser.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 2:32am
Print Post  
Otis The Tramp wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 5:13am:
Yes. The #8 bus route used to employ friendly drivers and comfortable, modern electric buses. Now the route's been scrapped and replaced with the T9 to North Plaza, we now have a couple of grumpy drivers who turn up late in clapped-out old bangers with no suspension.

Think we had one of your friendly drivers on the T4 from North Plaza this morning.  Unfailingly polite, gave everyone without fail a 'good morning', 'thank you' and a 'bye bye'.  Earns a gold star from me.

IP Logged

UpHigh
God Member

Forum for DB residents

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 3:23am
Print Post  
I wonder how long we will have all the staff hanging around the stops showing people where to go and also the people helping you cross the roads ?

IP Logged

hongkongpauli

Forum for DB residents

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Management were there yesterday with plenty of employees in florescent jackets, today no management and a smattering of advisers.

IP Logged

wessa

Forum for DB residents

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
hongkongpauli wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 10:40am:
Management were there yesterday with plenty of employees in florescent jackets, today no management and a smattering of advisers.   

They thought one day should be enough for most gweilos to figure out where they should catch their bus home from, even after several pints in the plaza  Grin

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
The great bus driver on T4 is probably Mr Tam (does he have grey hair?)

I asked him on Sunday which buses he would be on and he mentioned T4. He is marvelous, always friendly and very helpful as is the other great driver Mr Ho (with glasses) who used to also be on the no 7 route. We definitely had the best 2 drivers in DB on the no 7 route.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Twinkleberry - yes, grey haired little guy.  May have seen him once before a while back but then he disappeared.  C4 passengers are unaccustomed to being heartily greeted by drivers and everyone was surprised and apologetic.  So funny.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #11 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
There is kind of pointless writing here praising the well deserved driver.

Call or write in to praise the driver concern.

It makes a difference for them.

Their supervisors often get more complaints than anything else. Praises are an after thought for most passengers and often no follow through to be recorded.

Lets do our part. I have done it, have you guys.

Thank you.

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #12 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 12:59am
Print Post  
Yes BH

More people can write to the bus company with notes of appreciation, I'm sure it is appreciated. Where is the bus office now?

However it is also of value to mention these drivers on the forum as they also like it when they are greeted nicely by passengers.

If more passengers greeted the grumpy drivers, maybe that would improve the grumpies attitude as well (realistically I doubt it but it's worth a try)

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Agree.  I will try to remember to praise the good T4 bus driver when I am next in the Plaza.

IP Logged

seoul588

Forum for DB residents

Reply #14 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 1:50am
Print Post  
The T9 schedule is a cluster.  First off - no more Louis who was a fantastic driver.  Second, and ultimately more important, the bus UP to Caperidge was nowhere to be found the first two days of this project.  I literally beat the bus back to Upper Caperidge the past two nights.  Meanwhile, the T4 was there waiting both Monday and Tuesday.  This will be a disaster once the rains come.

IP Logged

RunningRoach
God Member

Daaaaaamnnn Doggy!

Reply #15 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 2:51am
Print Post  
Rain Is Coming!

IP Logged

SDV@DB

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #16 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
To me, the drivers don't look too happy with the new arrangements either. They don't really have a convenient break place anymore.

And call-out to the nice driver on #1.

IP Logged

parkvaledevelopment

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #17 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Noticed the citymapper app (iPhone/Android) has the new T bus schedules and stops already.

https://citymapper.com/hong-kong

IP Logged

wessa

Forum for DB residents

Reply #18 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
SDV@DB wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 2:34pm:
To me, the drivers don't look too happy with the new arrangements either. They don't really have a convenient break place anymore.

And call-out to the nice driver on #1.

I'm just wondering, who is "happy" going to work these days if they are working for a big corporate?
The last few years have seen massive cuts, more responsibilities pushed on individuals, all in the name of efficiency.
Not many are "happy" going to work anymore but they have no choice, need money to put some rice and vegetables on the family table at the end of the day, assuming they have space for a table.
Ask the "unhappy" bus driver where/how he/she sleeps at night. Yes, perhaps they have to get up a bit earlier nowadays. Our big corporates will tell us that it's in the name of progress. Maybe it's in the name of greed.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #19 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
With the consolidation of routes and reduced services, I wonder if any driver got laid off.

Some drivers look less happy but a few are cheerful and greet us each morning.

This new arrangement is better for me than the old one after adjusting. I am happy to give the Plaza and smelly old terminus a miss. Being spread out may be a bit inconvenient at times, but it means more peaceful transits.

I noticed people walking along DB road sitting down to rest on the bus stop seats, chatting and watching then continuing on....a new social buzz at these points of contact made possible by the bus infrastructure?

I appreciate the help provided by the extra staff deployed at each stop and intersections. They even held the bus while I ran up behind it today.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Agree with Wessa.  I have also heard that the transport company fires drivers after 10 years because they don't want to pay the long-service award.  Not sure of the veracity of this piece of gossip.

Agree with Coppergoose basically.  I too like the 'spread out' buses, though I'm less keen on the walk up the hill from the ferry.  Wouldn't say no to a chair-lift or rickshaw  Wink

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #21 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 2:03am
Print Post  
Ger, I have seen faces from 20 years back. Long service pmt as in mpf, not a problem as taken out of employer contribution, but hkr may have its own, though I seriously doubt it.

Ferry walk uphill, minimise by going direct to the escalator up to the road level, the new footbridge will be ready soon. The uphill walk is then no different to walking from the pier to the old bus stops.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #22 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 2:13am
Print Post  
The bus schedules appear to be no longer tied to ferry schedules? This should be great relief for the drivers, less pressure on all, following their own system.

I think it is great that the external buses link the South end of DB directly to the tunnel now, rationalising DB as one continuous living space, Plaza being one of many nodal points of interest along the main throughfare.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #23 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 3:21am
Print Post  
CG wrote on Mar 5th, 2017 at 2:03am:
Ger, I have seen faces from 20 years back. Long service pmt as in mpf, not a problem as taken out of employer contribution, but hkr may have its own, though I seriously doubt it.

Ferry walk uphill, minimise by going direct to the escalator up to the road level, the new footbridge will be ready soon. The uphill walk is then no different to walking from the pier to the old bus stops.

Good about drivers.  Just tried the escalator route from Fusion and it was fine.  Thanks for advice.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #24 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 3:35am
Print Post  
Smiley We can certainly help the drivers' moods by being pleasant. It may be easier for them without having to deal as much with random people crossing the bus lanes while trying to pull out., such as strollers, kids on step bikes, etc., the bus bays being more straightforward and passenger queues organised and demarcated.
Plaza businesses might be a bit less now without the foot traffic from bus riders. I used to browse nearby shops while waiting for bus or pick up a coffee.

The Airport bus connection is probably the main tricky one if people are travelling with kids, baggage and caught in bad weather. Wonder why this is not treated like the other external buses, starting from the Marina Club would be more logical, the schedule would need to be adjusted.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint