Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bicycles getting rusty in DB (Read 9644 times)
Bluexm

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Bicycles getting rusty in DB
Feb 15th, 2017 at 6:18am
Print Post  
Hello
I see a lot of bicycles getting totally rusty down almost every building, and I'd like to do something about that.
What I understand is that people buy bicycles  for the whole family on there first year and then don't use it anymore
Then salty and wet winds from the sea accelerate their decay and the bicycles get totally unusable very quickly. And when you want to use it again ; either you send them to repair or just buy another one ... which is really a waste of money on top of opportunity

What can we do about this ?

Personally I thought that encouraging the use of bicycles so hat they get taken care of more

Any thought ?

IP Logged

Bluexm

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Re: Bicycles getting rusty in DB
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Hi
After some thinking I found that a simple idea is to have the bikes used more.
Since we can't ask everyone to use their i Ken more if they don't want, i propose to do BICYCLE SHARING :  and I made a Facebook page for this : https://www.facebook.com/groups/925989407537873/

Any feedback is welcome !

IP Logged

wessa

Forum for DB residents

Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Let's face it. Majority of these rusting bikes are HKD 1000 bikes or so bought as Christmas presents.
Two months later the kids novelty wears off and the bikes fall victims to rust. Parrents don't care because it was only a 1000 bike and the Christmas obligation/fun has been fulfilled .
HKR round them up about once a year and by that time they are beyond economical repair so most get scrapped.
I think HKR should do it every three months so most unclaimed bikes could be recycled towards the needy.

IP Logged

Bluexm

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 3:26am
Print Post  
Hi wessa
Thanks for your answer. You have a point about why some people would just leave their bike to rust.
but carelessness is not entirely related to money, as I can see from some very nice mountain bikes down my building definitely worth more 20k than 1k.
And it's ok, we all have more important priorities than our bicycles. 
And that's precisely my point ; leaving to someone else the care of your bike, sparing you some chores, together with being useful to others, avoid waste, and making your bike last longer ...

Concerning your suggestion for recycling ; you can  donate your old bikes to CROSSROADS in tuen mun ; these guys are  refurbishing the bicycles and send them to Africa, see the post on the Facebook page

Thanks again for your input

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Reply #4 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
An additional problem in some villages is the number of short term residents. Someone comes for a year or two, moves on and the bike's left behind.

Management may remove old bikes annually in some places, but in others, abandoned bikes sit rusting and blocking parking bays for two years or more. If the bikes aren't a visible eyesore, they're evidently not considered a problem.

Crossroads are an excellent organisation, and it would be great if abandoned bikes could be identified and donated to them before they're beyond salvage, but that would require more active effort from City Management & VOCs.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Perhaps bikes are left by City Management until they are falling apart because it's the only way they can be sure they are abandoned.

CM could appeal to residents' goodwill by asking them to declare bike abandoned and donated to CM for the Africa charity.

Sometimes the way money is chucked away in this place is gobsmacking to those of us who grew up with nothing.

IP Logged

chair

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 12:23am
Print Post  
I have wondered what management do with all the bikes after they regularly cull them..........just dump them I guess, the same as everything else.

IP Logged

iwj

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 4:32am
Print Post  
Hello All,

Just to let you know the situation with old DB bikes. DBM will label old unused bikes to advise that if the notice is not removed by approx 3 months, the bike will be recovered by DBM and stored. I work for the charity "Crossroads" who are then advised by DBM when they have a number of bikes available for collection. We then send a collection truck from our base in the Gold Coast to collect what bikes are available. We do this as Crossroads has a repair bike shop where the bikes are either cleaned up and made serviceable or if not, used for spare parts where possible. These bikes are then shipped mainly to Africa in our regular container loading that happens every two weeks or so. (We ship either 20ft or 40 ft containers). Crossroads is connected to the worldwide NGO network where we get requests for many items other than bikes.

Regards.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 9:18am
Print Post  
This is very good news.  Thanks for posting.

IP Logged

Bluexm

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:20am
Print Post  
Thanks for all these answers
There is a post about crossroads by Mario on the group page I did  https://www.facebook.com/groups/925989407537873/
Mario gave more information about what they do.

Now the question is to answer to the question rightly posed by Otis the tramp"it would be great if abandoned bikes could be identified and donated to them before they're beyond salvage"

That is precisely the idea of this group : enabling sharing/use of the bikes ; this would create a mini-community where owners could give their bikes to former users rather abandon them, etc ...

Also ; why not promoting this group to newcomers in DB villages when they arrive ?  This would answer the point of Otis about short term presence ...

IP Logged

Bluexm

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Hello

I don't know for you but the last 2 typhoons have been quite harmful to my bike downstairs ; lost of rust appeared, time to repair a bit !

To follow-up with my page I did a chatbot for the fun : it will answer your questions on this rent/lend idea :
https://www.facebook.com/DiscoveryBayBikes/

Let me know if the bot doesn't behave  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint