Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) SAN HING (LPG) OFFICE MOVING (Read 25620 times)
SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

SAN HING (LPG) OFFICE MOVING
Oct 4th, 2016 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Has anyone else spotted on the latest gas bill that San Hing are shutting up shop in the Plaza and moving to DB North?

This will be a major inconvenience for me and many others when we want to pay our bills. Is it a strategic move by the the developer to force us all to go to DB North for our shopping and other daily needs?

San Hing are living in the dark ages with their manpower-intensive billing system, shuffling multiple bits of hand-written paper around their office. You cannot even make a direct on-line billing payment through HSBC. I have just checked and they are still not included in their list of "Merchants".

Do I have to go back to writing cheques and buying envelopes & postage stamps to pay my bill? I am not surrendering to their pressure to go back and forth to DB North. And I don't trust San Hing with "auto-pay" if they offer such an arrangement. I have been over-charged in the past and for several years was overpaying because of a faulty meter (Many are over 30 years old and degraded). Eventually I proved the situation that the meter was running too quickly by an average of about 10% but they only compensated me for 12 months supply. I had been over-paying for years.

Spread the word around and complain to San Hing management.
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2016 at 10:42am by SayNoToPrivateCars »  

IP Logged

chair

Re: SAN HING (LPG) OFFICE MOVING
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I do agree that these paper monthly bills in mail boxes are outdated and should come by email instead.

Why don't you pay by direct debit, as I do?

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #2 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 11:13am
Print Post  
I was told that you can deposit the payment directly to their HSBC account. For an accurate billing and not the over charged estimated billing, you will need to email them the "self reading" values of your gas meter if no one is around when they come to read the meter. Direct debit will work if you don't mind the estimated billing that is usually 3 or 4 times more than your actual usage.

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 11:34am
Print Post  
JojoS wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 11:13am:
I was told that you can deposit the payment directly to their HSBC account.  

How do you do this? By transfer at an ATM ?

And this would mean no receipt to prove payment other than an ATM slip which has no gas account reference details.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #4 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 11:35am
Print Post  
There is a collection box by the pier, you don't need to go to DBN. Easy!

Or do what I did and cancel the gas service and switch to electricity.

IP Logged

SayNoToPrivateCars
God Member

Patriotism is the last
refuge of a scoundrel

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 11:52am
Print Post  
HK1980 wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 11:35am:

So what do you put in the box? A cheque or cash ?
Very old fashioned. It's time for  San Hing to enter the modern age and allow on-line bill payments thru' the banks.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Or do what I did and cancel the gas service and switch to electricity.

I did that too.  Love being all electric.

IP Logged

MCC

Forum for DB residents

Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
this is the easiest company in the world (to deal with). You can do everything electronically, incl. emailing them your meter reading (email address on the back of the card you get every month). You chose how you want to deal with them, any option available on this planet, they do it. The location of their office is completely irrelevant.

IP Logged

HK1980
God Member

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
SayNoToPrivateCars wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 11:52am:

So what do you put in the box? A cheque or cash ?
Very old fashioned. It's time for  San Hing to enter the modern age and allow on-line bill payments thru' the banks.

I used to put a check in as I got on/off the ferry.
Old fashioned, yes.
But as MCC says, its one option of many.

Going to electric was a no brainer in Siena. Only the oven and hob ran on gas. Both were utter cr@p quality, so switched over to electric.

The arbitrary 25 a month service charge meant I was paying for nothing when away.
Screw them, take your meter and give me my deposit back  Smiley

IP Logged

chair

Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Direct debit with my HSBC bank account, simple.
I email my meter reading every month by 25th regardless of if I get a card to do it or not.

When I first moved to db I got an estimated bill of $900 when my bill is normally $77. I got refunded by chq, they tried to say it would serve as credit but I said no, I wasn't up for paying almost a year's gas in advance.

I do find them very responsive by email, I have wanted things checked at times and they reply and visit promptly.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
I didn't like the idea of direct debit even if I do not have any experience with it. The previous owner of my flat had one and for the first 3 months after I bought my flat I was not getting any bill until I investigated. The previous owner was still being direct debited even if the gas account was already transferred to me.

IP Logged

Lazybum

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Seriously, how lazy can one be these days? Truly a 1% problem. Those people are like the easiest and nicest people to do deal with.  I am sure the people from  Syria would love to have your problems!

IP Logged

chair

Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Well that would be because the previous owner did not cancel it.JojoS wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:37pm:
I didn't like the idea of direct debit even if I do not have any experience with it. The previous owner of my flat had one and for the first 3 months after I bought my flat I was not getting any bill until I investigated. The previous owner was still being direct debited even if the gas account was already transferred to me.

IP Logged

JojoS
God Member

Reply #13 - Oct 4th, 2016 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
chair wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:47pm:
Well that would be because the previous owner did not cancel it.JojoS wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:37pm:

That was exactly what they said to me. I still prefer to pay as I go. Making adjustments to my monthly bill as needed when actual meter readings are not made before making payments. The move to North Plaza will also make them closer to me. A shorter walk.

IP Logged

garmato
God Member

Reply #14 - Oct 5th, 2016 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Here's the explanation from San Hing:

San Hing will open an office in DB North next week, Tues. Oct 11. The reason is mainly two-fold. Their rental contract in DB Plaza is coming to an end and in consideration of the upcoming renovation/expansion of DB Plaza, they decide to trial an office in DB North until the aforementioned works are completed.

San Hing says if things go well, they hope to have two offices, one in each plaza.

In the meantime, payments can be paid via HSBC banking and notify them by email with your account details, date of payment and amount paid so they can follow up.

Another method is you can deposit the pay slip with cheque to their collection box at the Ferry Pier (DB Plaza). Do not put cash.

IP Logged

Otis The Tramp

Sittin' in Discovery Bay,
wastin' time...

Reply #15 - Oct 8th, 2016 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
The idea of paying that company by direct debit seems insane. I don't think I've ever had a bill from them that's been less than 200% higher than it should be, and it's usually a lot more. No doubt it's possible to argue for a refund later, but that's not a reasonable way to run a business in the 21st century.

I'm sure the showroom staff, who have to put up with a lot of abuse from angry customers, would love to see San Hing get themselves a functional billing system.

IP Logged

SgtPepper

Keeping the interwebz
in formation since 1941

Reply #16 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
I really hope we don't have to venture up to the Dark Side, a.k.a. the North Plaza to pay our bills. That would be such an inconvenience.

Besides, I know a guy who knew a guy that went up there and was never seen again. Lost forever in the void of mainlanders, Paisanos Pizza and non-working escalators. True story. Honest.

IP Logged

lfme

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Guess the only payment they accept is either cash or cheque. We have tried to pay via their HSBC account - only worked the first month. We now have received a final notice because their have ignored our HSBC payments and emails with payment details - sigh

Only choice left - spent an hour to go to their office and yell at Tony and his manager for not doing their job.

Wish we had other choices than San Hing - gas service is fine - but their office workers should all be fired!

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #18 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
chair wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:09pm:
Direct debit with my HSBC bank account, simple.
I email my meter reading every month by 25th regardless of if I get a card to do it or not.

I do it this way too, no problem, and autopay has a cap. Easy.

I would switch to full electric if my building had 3 phase. Only water heater needs gas now, by switching off the pilot lighter, the monthly bill is below 50 and less during hot months.

IP Logged

BH

Forum for DB residents

Reply #19 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 3:15am
Print Post  
Similarly I can never understand their billing especially their estimate.

For months and years our gas bill had been fairly constant but if we fail to report our gas meter for the month, their estimate like this recent bill was for $2901.
Our usual bill is about $600.

I wondered what benefits or joy do they get from these unrealistic high estimate.

Anybody got any anwers.

IP Logged

twinkleberry

Reply #20 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 3:33am
Print Post  
For estimates, they calculate the total gas usage for DB and divide by a certain factor (which remains a mystery).
Never pay an estimated bill as next month when they come to read the meter you may not have caught up with you estimated previous reading and therefore have no gas usage according to them. Good news you may think. But if this happens you have to pay the $25 minimum charge. Phone your actual readings into them or estimate yourself from your previous bills.

IP Logged

fish22

Forum for DB residents

Reply #21 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 7:51am
Print Post  
I also don't get how they issue their bills. We used gas once per week last month, they sent the bill for 800HKD

IP Logged

wessa

Forum for DB residents

Reply #22 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
If you're not home when they send a lackey to read the meter, they will just do an estimate. What formula they use is anybody's guess.
Simple solution is to write down your meter reading or take a picture of it with your mobile phone.
Walk over to their office and they will adjust the bill according to actual meter reading.
Not hard, is it?

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #23 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
What is so hard about taking your reading by the 25th and emailing it in? If you are abroad, do an estimate. One time, I missed it by a day while away, they sent me their ridiculous estimate. I promptly emailed back and the next month sent in my reading as usual, the adjustment was smooth as I had my autopay cap.

No wasted time calling or visiting them. Ignore their inflated estimates calculated by some computer program, control the process.

IP Logged

Ger
God Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
I always emailed my meter reading when my flat used gas.  Astonished that people still haven't learned about the procedure and seethe with rage at the high estimated bill.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #25 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:48am
Print Post  
chair wrote on Oct 4th, 2016 at 1:47pm:

When a flat is sold, the agent has a checklist proving all utilities, club etc. have been terminated and accounts sorted out.
Someone did not do their job here.

IP Logged

CG
God Member

Reply #26 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Ger wrote on Mar 4th, 2017 at 11:40pm:
I always emailed my meter reading when my flat used gas.  Astonished that people still haven't learned about the procedure and seethe with rage at the high estimated bill.

Agree. I wish San Hing can send e statements instead of paper ones.

The staff have always been nice in face to face interactions, but no physical contact is even nicer. Smiley
By the time that intrusive knock on the door comes, always at an inconvenient time, I have already emailed my reading. I refuse to entertain them entering on a Sunday Cheesy Frankly, I think he prefers it this way, dropping a card in my mailbox. Wink

IP Logged

lfme

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #27 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 3:28am
Print Post  
I have basically given up paying by their HSBC a/c and gone back to cheques dropped at the box at the ferry. They have admitted that since they moved to North Plaza HSBC payments have increased to such a level that they can not handle the HSBC payments in a timely manner.

IP Logged

lfme

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #28 - Mar 5th, 2017 at 3:32am
Print Post  
oh - and one more thing - It is amazing that you have to input your estimated meter on a piece of paper or by email. Some companies in Hong Kong are many years behind with internet solutions. Can only be because lack of competition

IP Logged

Terry666

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #29 - Mar 16th, 2017 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
I'm surprised at reading this post.
I've lived in DB for 5 years, before on HK Island.
I have always found San Hing to be perfectly reasonable and, on occasions, extremely helpful.
Mid-December I had to report a gas leak in a property we'd just moved into. The gas was blocked, meter taken away and we were left with a large gas canister to operate the 2 showers. I honestly panicked as we had 5 offspring arriving for Christmas in the next 6 days. I explained this to the gas engineers and "Lo and Behold" they re-piped the apartment the day before the kids started to arrive!
Yeah, their estimates are sometimes rather wild, so take your reading, tell them and it's adjusted.
They are very nice folk, if you explain your issue. Honest  Smiley

IP Logged

Xxxx

Forum for Discovery Bay
residents

Reply #30 - Mar 30th, 2017 at 11:40pm
Print Post  
lfme wrote on Mar 5th, 2017 at 3:28am:
I have basically given up paying by their HSBC a/c and gone back to cheques dropped at the box at the ferry. They have admitted that since they moved to North Plaza HSBC payments have increased to such a level that they can not handle the HSBC payments in a timely manner.

They should switch to quarterly payments, would make it a bit easier for everyone.
I do that already, at each "final notice"...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint