Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Upload Photos and Videos 

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving to Hong Kong with cat and dog (Read 35669 times)
dean
YaBB Newbies

Forum for DB residents

Moving to Hong Kong with cat and dog
Mar 1st, 2009, 11:26am

Hello all.

My girfriend and I will probably be moving to Hong Kong later on in the year from Australia. We have a little poodle and a cat we would like to bring with us as well. They are like our kids and we would be lost without them.  Cry We will leave them with my parents if we cant find any where suitable, but we would rather have them with us as we would be here for a few years at least.

I have been to DB before and was most impressed with the community here and we are thinking it would be a good place to settle in to. Even though the travel to work would be longer, we believe it is worthwhile, especially seeing that we would love our pets with us. Smiley Comming from Australia and having a huge backyard and space etc, the high rise living on HK island is a bit daunting for us and DB looks like an awsome alternarnative. It seems to have a great community spirit as well which is nice.

The question I ask is what sort of monthly rent would I be paying on DB for a place with a little garden or backyard for the cat and dog to have a little space?

Also, are their any DB specific real eastate agents? I have googled it but found nothing.

If someone could point me in the right direction for searching out a pet friendly place I would be very appreciative.

Cheers,

Dean

IP Logged

ChillyPepper

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

DB
Re: Moving to Hong Kong with cat and dog
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2009, 3:52pm

Hi Dean,
You are correct Discovery Bay is a great place for children and animals, we moved here nearly 20 months ago with a dog and a cat from the UK. There is a good vets and a grooming parlour  here in DB, and the local shops sell pet foods to suit most cats and dogs.
I am sending you details of various web sights you could look at for property, via PM, because I don't think there is any adverising allowed on this forum, by the way I'm not an estate agent, just a retired stay at hjome mum to a dog and cat.
There are quite a few properties with a garden, ranging from proper houses, to low rise- the lower ground floor places often have a garden, and places on the golf course. Happy House Hunting.

IP Logged

Trish
Big Bang

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2009, 4:10pm

I've lived in Hong Kong for 27 years and DB is one of the best places.  Especially for pets and children!  Its very friendly and easy to make new friends of all nationalities. If has everything you need here from Dr's via vets to shopping or all sorts and the main areas of Tung Chung and Central area  bus and ferry ride away.

Easy to get your pets here they will not have to go through quarantine but will have to when you return to Oz though.  Best to check that out if you are not planning on staying here long.

Estate agents have been covered by previous post.

If you need any help with people to help you ship your pets in just ask!!!

Welcome to DB!!!

IP Logged

gmbruneau
YaBB Newbies

Forum for DB residents

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2009, 11:48pm

I'm in the same position as dean, moving to DB, and am not letting go of my most loyal friend, P. the cat (identity removed for his security Smiley).

Now to add to the interrogation, Trish mentioned no-quarantine, which is great, but does anyone have insight as to the formalities/paperwork to get an animal into HK?  P. has never travelled abroad before.

As well, any suggestions as to shipping would be appreciated.

Thanks and Best regards,

IP Logged

6ix

Forum for DB residents

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2009, 6:10pm

IP Logged

ChillyPepper

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

DB
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2009, 7:19pm

For the person with P the cat, I don't know which country you are based in but, your cat would have to have all its normal cat injections and its course of rabies up to date before you bring it here to Hong Kong, then get a reliable pet transporter to get it here for you, it cannot travel in a normal small cat box on a long journey, pet exporters usually make a special case for it, with food and water for the journey, then on arrival in HK it is vet checked at the airport before being delivered to you.

IP Logged

dean
YaBB Newbies

Forum for DB residents

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2009, 8:38am

Thanks for all your feedback guys, it's much appreciated.

Although I will be in HK in a month's time I will be living with family in the Mid Levels however my partner will be joining me around the end of the year (visiting many times in the interim I hope!). It is at that time we hope to move to DB.

We have an appointment with the vet next week and will discuss the pro's and cons of moving them over there and what it entails. We have also spoken to my parents over here as a worse case scenario that we don't take them along with us.

We want to leave no stone unturned in this part of the move and make sure they can relocate with the minimum of inconvenience.

In the mean time I will continue to read the forum and try and orientate myself with living on DB. I will also visit regularly and check out the state of housing prospects when I move over next month. We are not loaded, but I figure we could afford around 25k+ per month for a place - but it must have some sort of little garden though. This will be hard I'm sure but we need to give them some sort of outside for normality.  Smiley

Thanks again!!

Dean

IP Logged

6ix

Forum for DB residents

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2009, 10:33am

There are 2 pets relocaton companies you may consult:

Relopets
www.relopet.com
Tel: (852) 29769969

Trans Pet
www.trans-pet.com
Tel: (852) 2477 2270  Fax: (852) 2477 2240
email: enquiry@trans-pet.com

I just found them in the local DB magazine and I think they may provide one-stop hassle-free service for you....?

As far as I understood, pets importing to HK from rabies free island countries (ie UK, Aussie) is much easier then other areas. If you can provide all the health proofs, your pets can simply exempt quarantine.

I believe your babies will be happy living in DB too!  Smiley

Will keep an eye on the local property info according to your target and keep you informed.

IP Logged

Trish
Big Bang

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Mar 6th, 2009, 10:56pm

you can also try Ferndale Kennels they bought my dogs in from France and my puppy in from Australia they did everything.

tucker@netvigator.com.  The kennels are owned by an English couple who are very good.

IP Logged

OzeMozzie

Member since 2006

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2009, 5:19am

We made the same move. Aus-HK-Aus with a cat.

Give JetPets in Australia a call (they do transfers for Taronga Zoo). Angus@jetpets.com.au. They ship from door to door and in HK use Ferndale to do the transfer - our cat was bathed and clean and happy (as much as she could be given she hates to travel) when she arrived in DB!

They will email you a checklist and requirements.

Going over to HK is easy. As a PP said - if their normal vac's are OK then all you need to get is the rabbies. Moving back to Aus is a little harder but not much if you spend money on rabbies blood work every six months. Then it is just a one month stay in quarantine (they can not enter the country until 6 months after their bloodwork clearance!).

We will not be bringing her back to HK if we move back later in the year. The last trip has scared her a little and now she is on cortisone and Prozac for anxiety!

IP Logged

katrina
YaBB Newbies

Forum for DB residents

applying as a helper to your family...
Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2009, 4:33pm

KATRINA B. VALENZUELA

Blk. 2, Lot 6 Golden Villas Carsadang Bago II, Imus Cavite 4103, PHILIPPINES

Contuct  no. : Phil. +639085655455, +63493026144, HK +85292008549

Email add: katrina_valenzuela35@yahoo.com

OBJECTIVE

To fulfill my knowledge and skills in Housekeeping, Baby care, and Adult care.

PERSONAL DATA

Birth date                     :  February 12, 1983

Birth place                   :  Parañaque City , PHILIPPINES

Age                              :  26 years old

Civil Status                  :  Single parent                        Height              :  4’11”

Sex                              :  Female                                 Weight             :  53 kls.

Religion                       : Christian-Catholic

Nationality                   :  Filipino

Skills                            :  Household Chores, Computer literate

Language/Dialect spoken       :  English, Filipino

Father’s Name            : Francisco D. Valenzuela (diseased)

Age                             : 53                                          Occupation    : Car Agent

Mother’s name            :  Norberta B. Valenzuela

Age                             : 52                                          Occupation    : OFW

No. of Children            :  1 girl                                     Age                 : 5

No. of Brothers and Sisters    :  1 Brother, 2 sisters

Ages                            :  27, 24, 18                            

Passport No.               :  SS0193639              HK ID card no.            :  WX 015899 (o)

Date Issued                 :  Dec. 27, 2005          Date Expired               :  Dec. 27, 2010

Place Issued               :  DFA MANILA

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

COLLEGE                  :  AMA Computer Learning Center of Parañaque City PHIL.

Bachelor of Computer Programming

IP Logged

katrina
YaBB Newbies

Forum for DB residents

applying as a helper to your family...
Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2009, 4:33pm

KATRINA B. VALENZUELA

Blk. 2, Lot 6 Golden Villas Carsadang Bago II, Imus Cavite 4103, PHILIPPINES

Contuct  no. : Phil. +639085655455, +63493026144, HK +85292008549

Email add: katrina_valenzuela35@yahoo.com

OBJECTIVE

To fulfill my knowledge and skills in Housekeeping, Baby care, and Adult care.

PERSONAL DATA

Birth date                     :  February 12, 1983

Birth place                   :  Parañaque City , PHILIPPINES

Age                              :  26 years old

Civil Status                  :  Single parent                        Height              :  4’11”

Sex                              :  Female                                 Weight             :  53 kls.

Religion                       : Christian-Catholic

Nationality                   :  Filipino

Skills                            :  Household Chores, Computer literate

Language/Dialect spoken       :  English, Filipino

Father’s Name            : Francisco D. Valenzuela (diseased)

Age                             : 53                                          Occupation    : Car Agent

Mother’s name            :  Norberta B. Valenzuela

Age                             : 52                                          Occupation    : OFW

No. of Children            :  1 girl                                     Age                 : 5

No. of Brothers and Sisters    :  1 Brother, 2 sisters

Ages                            :  27, 24, 18                            

Passport No.               :  SS0193639              HK ID card no.            :  WX 015899 (o)

Date Issued                 :  Dec. 27, 2005          Date Expired               :  Dec. 27, 2010

Place Issued               :  DFA MANILA

EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

COLLEGE                  :  AMA Computer Learning Center of Parañaque City PHIL.

Bachelor of Computer Programming

IP Logged

ingrid

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2009, 12:58pm

You should be able to get an unrenovated 3 bdrm garden flat in Caperidge, Crestmont or Coastline for about 30k at the moment but a few have stayed empty for am long time so maybe try to negotiate to 25k.  Sure there will be more at the other end of DB but I just know this end.  When you're in Hk next pick up all the apartment flyers from the DB ferry terminal they always have a lot of them advertised.

IP Logged

Academy Sigma
YaBB Newbies

Forum for DB residents

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2011, 5:20pm

isn't Katrina posting in the wrong place?

IP Logged

Trish
Big Bang

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Apr 19th, 2011, 9:31am

I moved my two golden retrievers to a roof top apartment after living with a huge garden in France for three years, and the older one before that in England.

They adapted really well and enjoyed the walks in the hills the sea and the river and rock pools.  My chocolate lab, now four years old, was started in Oz and now lives in the same apartment and has never had a problem.  

He enjoys the walks his doggy play dates every evening and his many, many children friends.

my daughter in law has two cats who have happily adapted to high rise living though they do miss going outside occasionally she has bought some green growing grass and they love that.

Your pets will be more unhappy being separated from you I think.

IP Logged

goodlife

Forum for DB residents

Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2011, 8:02pm

That;s really true your dogs and cats just want to be with you, they will get over the flying, smaller place, no garden etc etc as long as they are with YOU !!!!
I find it crazy when someone says well I'm leaving my dog/cat cause they will not like flying/hot weather/cold weather, would you leave your kid because it don;t like flying, etc..... I don;t think so.
Do the right thing and bring them they will love it here x

IP Logged

NDB

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Apr 20th, 2011, 1:21pm

I don't think you will get a place with a garden below 30k... But your dog+cat will adapt to live without an outside area. There is plenty of space in DB for long walks, hikes etc.

Our dog came with Jetpets from Australia (Not door to door, but maybe because he was a puppy?). They were very professional and helpful. Not cheap though.

Good luck with your move!

IP Logged

goodlife

Forum for DB residents

Reply #17 - Apr 21st, 2011, 7:46pm

Maybe you should consider South Lantau, cheaper more space, lot's of beaches!!
And most of all animal friendly.

IP Logged

shadowbear
YaBB Newbies

Forum for DB residents

Reply #18 - Apr 30th, 2011, 10:43am

Just a tip, dont use RELOPET - they lost my friend's dog at the airport and it subsequently was hit by a car and killed.  

Use International Pet Travel (George Yeung) he is the best and they did a wonderful job of bringing my dog to Hong Kong from the UK.

It is easy to bring your pets with you around the world.  My dog is 3 years old and has already lived in 3 different countries.  You just have to be organised.

Good luck.

IP Logged

DBPOST

Forum for DB residents

Reply #19 - Dec 14th, 2011, 10:42am

I must have looked at this message 20 times. no idea why but it keeps coming up everytime i search on google for this forum.

Anyway, hope the poodle is o.k.

IP Logged

shiela vibar
YaBB Newbies

Forum for DB residents

Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2013, 1:40pm

Good day Madam and Sir,

Im SHIELA N. VIBAR, 23 years of age, I graduated in Bicol University with the Bachelors Degree of Bachelor of Science in Biology, I also have a National Certificate II in CAREGIVING, HEALTHCARE SERVICES, PHARMACY SERVICES   and HOUSEHOLD SERVICES. I have an experience in taking taking care of a NEWLY BORN BABY , I also work as an helper in the PHILIPPINES for almost 2 YEARS, from June 2009- June 2011. I also work here in HONGKONG taking care of 5-year old girl. I'm a multitasking person, fun, caring, loving and easy to go with. I can cook well Western dishes, Filipino dishes and few Chinese dishes.  I'm fast learner and can work with minimum supervision.

Looking forward for this employment opportunity. You can call me at this mobile number 60969853/94649641 to have an interview at your most convenient time.

Thank you My Future Employer.  Smiley

shiela.vibar22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

website statistics

View My Stats